Millennials, who owns them.

I’ve hired over 40 of them in the past 4 years. They either quit after a few days or get fired. Most of them are downright dangerous for our type of work. They know everything about their phone but they have no idea about the basic tools.

People are fast to blame parents. I came from 2 working parents. We caught up on the weekends. But, we weren’t showed everything. We got off the couch and built stuff.

To me, the 2 biggest problems are they have no communication skills and they are weak minded. You cannot teach them and you cannot chew them out. They can’t take a butt chewing. Oh, and they use the word “offended.”

I could go on and on, but most are not cut out for work......maybe an office job.

gunnurse

I have two absolutely charming millennials. One is a teacher, and one has a bachelors degree in both chemistry and nursing. They are both wonderful, productive, and most of all love their dad bunches.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We have a boat load of them at our office. The ones that work regularly are “experts”, just ask them. I just chuckle, less than 5 years in the biz and quick to tell you “how it really is.”

Life’s lessons come a bit harder for some.

oldguy

Truth is lots a dads lack the skills cause their dads lacked the skills, and on it goes less somebody else steps in and breaks the cycle. If you ain't never had to, you won't know how to. I'm a retired teacher and I despise our education system for what it teaches and fails to teach. Over reliance on technology is favored over using your brain to learn and remember.
Got locked in a Walmart once in a thunderstorm when the power went out. Computerized cash registers wouldn't work so they couldn't check folks out. Stood there thinking about "the old days" when cash registers weren't affected by a thunderstorm.
When schools started switching over to computers we were entering our grade books into "the system". Again the power went out and we were paralyzed.
Got a guy who wrote an article on GPS to come show me how to use it. Cloudy day, device couldn't acquire satellites. Ask him what if you were under a canopy (i.e. the jungle in Viet Nam)? He said look for an opening! You don't know where you are. How you gonna'" find an opening"? Good old map and compass won't let you down.
It's all gonna' come crashing down one day and the few folks that actually know stuff and can do stuff will be OK.
Sorry for the rant. Let me just get my bow (trad NOT techie) and just go to the woods.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^
There's merit to what you say. I was in a military technical school that involved a bunch of charts and math. We started our school using slip sticks, about half way through Texas Instruments calculators showed up.

Slips sticks are just artifacts now.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
You know its funny. I am 34 and have been in the paint and body industry for most of my life with the exception of a couple of different jobs. I started when I was 12. I recently realized the toll all the chemicals take on the human body. I made the switch to painting high end office furniture in a warehouse. It's hard work and long hours but much better on the respiratory system. Anyway I was looking around the warehouse the other day and I noticed that with the exception of myself and two others. Everyone is late 40's and older. It also dawned on me that a majority or close to retiring. What it seems to me is the younger generation has gotten away from hard work and doesn't want to get their hands dirty. It also made me realize that companies such as the one I work for are going to have a hard time replacing those folks when. They retire. Makes me wonder how a company will survive the future with out a steady work force.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You know its funny. I am 34 and have been in the paint and body industry for most of my life with the exception of a couple of different jobs. I started when I was 12. I recently realized the toll all the chemicals take on the human body. I made the switch to painting high end office furniture in a warehouse. It's hard work and long hours but much better on the respiratory system. Anyway I was looking around the warehouse the other day and I noticed that with the exception of myself and two others. Everyone is late 40's and older. It also dawned on me that a majority or close to retiring. What it seems to me is the younger generation has gotten away from hard work and doesn't want to get their hands dirty. It also made me realize that companies such as the one I work for are going to have a hard time replacing those folks when. They retire. Makes me wonder how a company will survive the future with out a steady work force.

You earn your living sir. Right after high school I did some electrostatic spray on a respirator. With a baking oven just down the conveyor it’s a clear memory after decades.

NOYDB

BANNED
First job out side the home for a paycheck was for a janitorial/cleaning company. For minimum wage of $1.60 an hour. We would contract to clean a building for three hours a day. But it would take 45 minutes of hustle but still got paid three hours. I would make nine hours of pay in three hours.

We couldn't hire more staff because they didn't want to be a janitor.

It wasn't cool being a janitor. But I had money in my pocket. Which was all I cared about.

Now people are taught that they want a cool job. That if they can't be cool, they don't want it. None are going hungry if they don't work. So they aren't trying. And jobs where the employees do real work don't get filled.

Twiggbuster

I’m 60 and a dinosaur amongst 20 and 30 somethings I work with. I give these kids a break when I can . Most are temps and 50/50 if an opening comes up and they get hired. Unlike when I was that age and got hired with benefits from the get- go. Really most are good, smart young adults who need less coddling and more guidance. They actually do come to work each day and punctual. It’s part of the culture there. I’ve seen improvements from 10-15 years ago.
Got to be upfront about what’s expected and they generally get in line.

7 point

My dear niece (with a diploma from a school I'll not mention) lives 20 miles from her Grand Mother's house. All she has to do is take a left out of her apartment complex, drive for 19 1/2 miles and take the next left after crossing the county line, then 1/2 mile and take a left into the drive way. SIMPLE! Can't manage it with out her phone telling her the directions STEP BY STEP! And she grew up in the house I'm talk'n about.
WHEN there is a "zombie" problem, it'll be her and all the rest of this generation walk'n the planet in droves TAKING what they need and can't supply for them selves.

7 point

I have a much younger cousin 2nd cousin to be exact we live in the same town about 3 miles apart he was 17 at the time has been over to the house numerous times with his parent's this boy got lost on his way over by himself he had to call me for directions. This world is in trouble in about 20 more years .

Last edited:

7 point

I had to train some new guys at work .they both were in there young 20s I said go to my truck and get me a 1/2 inch wrench he left came back looking like a cow looking a new gate and said what does it look like .and that's our future.

In 2018, there are literally hundreds of thousands of web pages out there showing anyone with half a brain how to do anything they want to do. The problem isn't that nobody showed these kids how to do anything, the problem is these kids expect to be spoon fed every bit of information they think they should know and assume someone is giving them what they need.

My dad never worked on cars and I never took much interest in his fixing things around the house because I was too busy chasing crawdads in the creek and building forts in the woods. When I got my jeep and things started breaking that I couldn't afford to pay someone else to fix, I hopped online, watched a few videos, asked questions on forums, and I figured it out. I've replaced dang near everything on that jeep in the last 8 years, by myself, learning by hunting down the information I needed.

Same with cooking. Momma loves to bake but always leaned heavily on dinner that came from boxes and cans and the freezer because we didn't seem to care. I got a taste for fancier stuff and more variety in my diet once I got out on my own and I looked up recipes and how tos and applied basic principles from certain recipes to my own concoctions that turned out pretty good.

This generation wants to be spoon fed, and they need to be taught to go fend for themselves and track down answers instead.
The truth right there.

Chestnut

My two daughters are millennials we are so proud of both ,, high schools was tough . sports and summer sports also , they were alwaya busy and then college came and when ,,good used cars both were used and small problems but both car make it thur the college years , one marry and has two grandbabies younger one is in canada workinh and two super hard working son in laws ( no one has call and needed to come back home yep ) they are the new leader , and want to life in town and big citys , but still remember the food plots and gardens we had at home and love picking time
and cooking,, they both want us to move away for thr Gwinnett group and into the country like we grow up in , large yards and room for a pony or at place to shoot guns ,, sounds good to us i love and miss them so much and the grand daughters are the most thank you GOD for what we have to enjoy (y):):)

bassboy1

It also made me realize that companies such as the one I work for are going to have a hard time replacing those folks when. They retire. Makes me wonder how a company will survive the future with out a steady work force.

Think of it this way. Every person that retires makes you worth more $$...