minimal hunting pressured birds

common man

It's nice watching all the hunting shows with all the precise calling etc. I'd like to hear some stories on the minimalist stuff you have done to kill a pressured bird. I only scratched leaves etc. Lets hear some stories.

sportsman94

I had my most minimalist kill/stalk on a bird this year. Hunting public land birds two weeks into the season. The birds started gobbling in a flooded river bottom. Turns out they were on a dry peninsula in the bottom. I was calling to them periodically, but the response was half hearted. I threw in some Jake yelps and they started responding more, but still weren’t budging. I ended up making about a 200 yard loop scratching in the leaves the whole time. The closer I got the more the boss bird would gobble. Towards the end it seemed like every breath. I would just keep easing through the palmettos scratching and he was eating it up. I stalked to within 35 yards, acquired a target, and shot. There was definitely two longbeards on that peninsula and one other turkey. I believe if I had sat back and called all morning I would have gone home empty handed that morning