Missed!

BigBass123

Long story short, title says it all haha. Started hunting last year, and have never been in range on a deer. Finally closed the distance today but missed the shot.

Tried out a small management area close to where I’m currently working Saturday afternoon. Property is a couple hundred acres, swamp on the SE corner, large creek runs the northern property line. Middle of the area is a mixture of fields and woods.

Place was packed and I didn’t see any deer, but it was also covered up with deer sign so I figured it was worth trying again.

Got off work today, and figured it would be a good day to try again. Got to the parking lot around 6:00, 5 other vehicles in the parking lot. Grabbed the bow, and decided to still hunt/scout along the property line with the bow in hand. With only an hour and a half of shooting light, didn’t feel like messing with the climber, plus I felt the other folks were likely hunting the field edges already.

Jumped one doe 100 yards from the parking lot laying in a field. Figured that was a good sign.

Tucked into the woods along a field edge and followed a trail paralleling the northern property line (adjacent to a creek).

Made it about 100 yards down the trail and start seeing tracks, very heavily used area.

Moving slowly, I creep along a little further. Find some acorns on the ground and what I believe was a scrape? Low hanging branch broken and missing it’s leaves at chest height, ground was scratched below it. Tracks all around as well.

Go just a little bit further, and movement catches my eyes.
It’s a deer!

Head down so I can’t ID it. Bucks and does are both good to go, but I still wanted to know what it was before flinging an arrow.

Finally looks up after going from broadside to facing away, it’s a doe. Very slowly feeding away from me, I cautiously took a step or two to keep it at 35 yards.

Turns back to broadside. I draw back…and a tree is blocking it’s vitals. I let down, it turns away and I’m staring at it’s tail.

Turns back to broadside, I draw back and take the shot…missed low! Arrow went right under. Luckily no branches were hit so it was pretty quiet.

Doe seemed to know something was up at this point, but it wasn’t fully ready to leave the area. It moved about 15 yards back to where it came from and looked around for a minute. I stayed as still as possible.

It put it’s head down again and I drew back to take the shot. Arrow hit a vine, deflected, and I missed again!

Sound of the arrow hitting the vine sent the doe hauling back into cover. Game was over with that one.

In about 20 hunts, I’ve never had a deer in range before. Real bummer to miss not once but twice once I finally had the opportunity. Not sure what else to say other than target panic took over there. Thought I was comfortable with the bow on the range but drawing back on the doe made it clear it’s not at muscle memory for me or even close to it.

On the flip side, it was still an exciting hunt even if I clearly need to spend some more time on the range. And if I’m going to miss I’d rather just downright miss than get a non lethal shot. I’m starting to see more sign when picking spots so I’m at least making progress. Just need to keep at it and eventually should get it done.

TurkeyDreamer

Great story to read. Man I felt I was right there with you. I can tell you’ve invested time in learning about the woods and understanding your prey. What an excellent job to have still hunted within bow range so early in your hunting journey! Keep it up and it’s just going to be a matter of time before you post about that first kill.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
It happens to us all. Been there! Done that! You seem to have a great attitude about it, so that's good. Just keep going, and each hunt you have, you'll pick up on the little things. Don't put pressure on yourself. Be patient, and enjoy your time outdoors.

Best of luck going forward!

Hillbilly stalker

Sounds like a great hunt to me. Few things are more challenging than stalking or still hunting a South eastern deer with a bow. You done well, hang in there and keep the wind in your favor. It will happen.(y)

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great hunt , now get back out there and try again ! I’d suggest the area you found all the tracks, scrape and acorns in your climber . Good luck , and most of all enjoy every hunt .

Hang in there brother! Took me several years to get my first one with a bow. That was 39 years ago. Never missed a bow season since. Still miss from time to time but man what a blast it still is. Still get tore up excited all these years later when it happens. It will happen and when it does theres nothing like it!

BigBass123

Thanks y’all!

Definitely using it as a good lesson and some encouragement, disappointing to miss the shot but hey at least I got into position to take it.

Great hunt , now get back out there and try again ! I’d suggest the area you found all the tracks, scrape and acorns in your climber . Good luck , and most of all enjoy every hunt .

I figure my climber will find it’s way there after work Saturday.

Luckily I should have the time to get out once a week on an afternoon after work this whole month. Plan to utilize that still hunting different spots in the management area than use that as scouting to plan my Saturday sits.

transfixer

Good job none the less ! don't feel bad, when I started bow hunting in my late teens I missed the first doe I shot at 3 times, after the first shot she trotted off about 10yds to the right, stopped, shot again , missed again, she trotted back the other way, looking around and stopped again, missed again, she had enough and left for good then, I was pretty embarrassed to say the least !

MFOSTER

BANNED
Keep hammerin,I hate to tell you this but you will miss again.i missed first 12 I shot at with the old recurve days.mostly by them being to far.pick you a spot on the deer when shooting,not at the whole deer.i still do that today with a rifle good luck it will happen

Otisman

Took me 3 seasons of heavy bow hunting before I killed one with a bow. Not before I shot at one though. Hang in there. My first bow kill (small doe) is still one of my favorite hunts.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That was fun to read! I bet you were shaking good! It’s an amazing thing how your body reacts when you see a deer like that! I like your game plan and think you’re gonna have a very fun season! Keep working on the routine when you shoot the bow and imho, shooting low is way better than missing left or right! Shooting downhill doesn’t seem to affect distances like an uphill shot…..especially at ground level!

Blackston

The more ya do it it gets easier ( miss I mean )

bnew17

The fact that you were able to practically stalk a deer and get 2 shots with a bow is very impressive. Keep at it because that was probably the most difficult situation to be in, in terms of getting a good shot off undetected, etc. Get elevated, with cover, and a good wind and it gets much much easier.