Mock Scrape Bucks

RackNBeardOutdoors

I'm a little confused on the "Puree" apples part, what is that? And, do you just keep the gallon jug by the toilet and just go in it when you have to "twinkle"? And then slasher talks about beer? I'm sorry, but can you simplify the recipe so I don't screw up and send the deer over to the next property

Killdee

So do you also put this in one of those drip deals or just pour it on the ground? I have my jug ready and I went and bought my ammonia. I may even go on and puree my apples and put them in there. I may hold off on the ammonia until I get the jug filled

I usually just pour it on the ground,I did put a dripper out last weekend,I'll report on the results Sunday.

Killdee

I'm a little confused on the "Puree" apples part, what is that? And, do you just keep the gallon jug by the toilet and just go in it when you have to "twinkle"? And then slasher talks about beer? I'm sorry, but can you simplify the recipe so I don't screw up and send the deer over to the next property

I keep my jug in the basement,I peel and mash up 2 apples, pour in the ammonia,about a cup I dont really measure,Then fill it up when you think about it and leave the lid on loose.

Killdee

FYI, I was scanning through the memory stick on this scrape from the last pull and noticed of the 20 deer visiting 11 were bucks and 9 does,that is alot more does than usual.Maybe their getting in the mood already.:cool:

I tell you what I just got my apples chopped up and poured into my jug. I have been peeing for two days now. My family look at me like I have lost my mind. I am guessing in about one more day or so My jug will be filled. I could fill it a lot quicker if I could take it to work. I just do not want to have to explain the jug and why I am peeing in the jug

taylornelms

GONetwork Member
i really am laughing out loud to all the comments on this one topic. Might possibly be the funniest topic ive seen so far. But on a serious note im looking for the "perfect jug" to get mine started. This one is goin to have to happen on my own theres no way i can explain it.

Killdee

Killdee- I've noticed in a lot of your trail cam shots that they are positioned high on the tree and angled down. I'm sure there's a reason you do that and I'm interested.

To keep the camera out of eye level of the deer and with the cam overhead the flash might be taken as lightning.They seem to be less spooked by a high setup anyway.On many of my low setups you might get I shot of a nice buck,sometimes hes staring at the cam,then thats it for him.Some deer dont seem to mind.I had a film camera on a food plot trail a few years ago,this 1 doe would walk up stop, look at the cam till the pic shot then walk on in to the plot.The number of deer walking in that trail declined also.I belive the noise of the film advancing in the film cams spook deer more than anything.I disable the shutter cover in all my digital cams and they are silent and deer dont seem to pay them any mind.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Took three days but...

my milk jug is full and brewing. I added the ammonia when I puried the apples in my wifes blender. She thinks I am crazy but anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Trizey

To keep the camera out of eye level of the deer and with the cam overhead the flash might be taken as lightning.They seem to be less spooked by a high setup anyway.On many of my low setups you might get I shot of a nice buck,sometimes hes staring at the cam,then thats it for him.Some deer dont seem to mind.I had a film camera on a food plot trail a few years ago,this 1 doe would walk up stop, look at the cam till the pic shot then walk on in to the plot.The number of deer walking in that trail declined also.I belive the noise of the film advancing in the film cams spook deer more than anything.I disable the shutter cover in all my digital cams and they are silent and deer dont seem to pay them any mind.

What is the average height of your higher setups? Are you using some sort of wedge on the upper half of the camera?I'm going to give this a try.

I've noticed that all deer are different when it comes to the camera. Some will hang around for an hour or more and others might stay for 2 shots if I'm lucky.

Killdee

What is the average height of your higher setups? Are you using some sort of wedge on the upper half of the camera?I'm going to give this a try.

I've noticed that all deer are different when it comes to the camera. Some will hang around for an hour or more and others might stay for 2 shots if I'm lucky.

7-8', as high as I can reach,some not so high if there further away from the target.I keep different sizes of PT wedges in my camera checking pack. Its easer than trying to find the right sized stick,and sometimes I need to wedge from the side or bottom to get the cam just right.

Killdee

Heres 1 more thats creeping around.My buddy Randy has had him in sight 2 times but no shot yet.

Attachments

• DSC03869 (Small).JPG
    DSC03869 (Small).JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 6,722

Handgunner

Nice lookin' buck, Tony!

Maybe the planets will finally align for Randy!

Man I have had that concoction out now for two or three days and no activity.. How long does it take normally for a buck to work a doctored scrape..

Killdee

If I make 15 scrapes,maybe 5 will become active.Some I started last year became active on there own this year.At this time on my lease scrapes are just starting to open back up after the rut has died down.

BuckFever1613

how often do you refresh these scrapes and if i have a scrape that has already been formed would it hurt to put some in there