More exciting...Long spurs or long beard?

Are you a spur guy/gal or a beard guy/gal?

• Gimme them long spurs!!

• Gimme that long beard!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There’s a recipe for a mexican soup (I forget the name) in one of my Meateater cookbooks that uses the leg/thighs in a crockpot. This recipe alone keeps me more excited about the legs than the breasts. It’s crazy good.
Posole. That pic looks good, doesn't it? :)
I wish we had an either-sex fall season here instead of a spring gobbler season. I've never went to the grocery store and seen an "old, long-bearded, tough stringy turkey gobbler." :bounce:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I like a big tail fan and big beard when they're alive. Once they're dead it's all about the spurs!!
The pictures on the spur post are awesome!!
I had a gunsmith do some work for me and in his shop was a big leather neckalace around a buck mount with all the spurs of his birds. I loved that and told him I'd like to copy that idea. I've been savin em for 9 ish years now. Bout ready to make a leather neckalace with em! I wished I'da saved em all from the past 20 somthin years

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Spurs are the cooler of the two, but unless they are exceptional (1 3/8+) I only keep the beards and put them in a box.

The stones out of the gizzard are the real trophy!
Do you have a picture of the stones , I’ve cleaned most of the gizzards out of the turkeys I’ve killed and never seen or heard of stones

six

Do you have a picture of the stones , I’ve cleaned most of the gizzards out of the turkeys I’ve killed and never seen or heard of stones
I know a couple people who keep them in a jar. I never messed with it.

TurkeyDreamer

I’ve killed one triple beard and a few double beard toms, and those discoveries are always an added boost of excitement when you find them. But I’m still looking forward to the day I run up on a flopping gobbler and discover those inch and a half spurs. That’s the exciting part for me...the anticipation of what those spurs will look like up close and not knowing until the last possible moment!!

chrislibby88

Posole. That pic looks good, doesn't it? :)
I wish we had an either-sex fall season here instead of a spring gobbler season. I've never went to the grocery store and seen an "old, long-bearded, tough stringy turkey gobbler." :bounce:
That’s it. It’s outstanding. I’m guessing you have tried it. Gobblers require LONG cooking time but man that once that leg meat falls off the bone it is something special.

Turkeytider

At least for me, the only things you can really see is the fan and the beard ( and long snoods!! LOL ). I`ve not harvested a whole bunch of turkeys, but I`ve decided to be more selective ( looking for paintbrushes and a great fan ). Actually, because of the room they take up, I`ll probably only collect one more fan, then just beards and spurs. Means I`ll probably be letting a lot more walk than I`ll be shooting, but that`s OK. I love the show!

Last edited:

Doug B.

Spurs are the cooler of the two, but unless they are exceptional (1 3/8+) I only keep the beards and put them in a box.

The stones out of the gizzard are the real trophy!
The stones out of a gizzard mean absolutely nothing to me. I enjoy the whole experience. I don't decide to shoot one because of its spurs or its beard.

Timber1

BANNED
I dont shoot one unless his beard is touching the ground. Sometimes I have to wait til he leans forward to peck the ground before it touches the ground. ? Cant see the spurs til I get up on him. Have not figured out a call that will make him lift his leg so I can check his hooks.

Dupree

I’ve been keeping mine several years. There aren’t a whole lot in each turkey. The ones pictured in the bowl are from an osceola from last March. It’s interesting to see the difference in the stones depending on where you kill them. There was a couple pieces of sea shells in the osceola.
66248AFD-A7D1-445A-B046-C6C0201DE661.jpeg7381F618-4926-483C-980E-29EB3F9BCA3A.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Dont care about either. Neither equate to any way in the age of the turkey.
They may not be accurate at determining the exact age but big spurs = mature gobbler. And a 2 year old can have a paint brush for a beard .

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Neither. Long and unique hunts that make good stories. That's what I like.