More Tebow criticism.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...worst-career-fears-in-Senior?urn=ncaaf,215726

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 am EST

Tim Tebow meets his worst career fears in Senior Bowl debut
By Matt Hinton

On top of the technical issues NFL scouts have with Tim Tebow as a prospective pro quarterback, there's also the standard next-level complaint about "the system" -- specifically, among other things, that Tebow spent the entirety of his college career at Florida taking snaps from the shotgun, never from under center, even in short-yardage situations. That seemingly minor qualm opens up an entirely new avenue of doubts about his ability to adjust to basic mechanics like footwork and turning his back to the defense, fundamentals most quarterbacks have converted to second nature long before they show up for NFL auditions (or, in most cases, before they ever set foot in an actual college game).

Florida tried to address that last year by hiring respected quarterbacks coach Scott Loeffler from the pro ranks, practicing with Tebow under center and having him take a handful of "conventional" snaps in a few games, all with an eye to making the most celebrated college player in modern history a more viable prospect to the skeptics. But when he showed up Monday for the first day of heavy scrutiny at the Senior Bowl, all the old alarm bells started ringing at maximum volume -- Tebow reportedly flubbed his first snap from center, and it only got uglier from there:

Performing drills with fellow South team quarterbacks Zac Robinson of Oklahoma State and Jarrett Brown of West Virginia, Tebow fumbled the ball at least twice while taking snaps under center.

Later in team drills, Tebow fell into his same old habits — holding onto the ball too long, locking onto receivers and throwing wobbly passes.

The scouts noticed.

"He looks like the third QB out there," one NFC South talent evaluator said.

Of course, the two QBs in front of him, Robinson and Brown, also come from shotgun-based spread schemes that featured a steady dose of quarterback-as-runner, and former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach -- as prominent an acolyte of the "college spread" as you can find -- hilariously mocked the NFL mantra when his prolific protegé, Graham Harrell, met with failing grades from the scouts last spring. ("How could you possibly look yourself in the mirror and consider yourself an NFL coach and not be able to teach a guy to run back three steps, five steps and seven steps? I can teach a child that!") Longtime coach and quarterback guru Marc Trestman, who worked with Tebow to prepare for this week, said he didn't think Tebow looked bad enough to hurt himself; Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, overseeing the South roster, said Tebow improved over the course of the practice. If nothing else, he's already well on his way to replacing Brett Favre's spot in Peter King's heart in the league's most influential weekly column.

But for a guy who needed a knockout week, the initial reviews are unadulterated fuel for the haters. Handling the snap is supposed to be the easy part of the transition; if he's still struggling with the basic exchange on national television this Saturday, we won't be hearing the end of it anytime soon.

Hogtown

If he doesn't make it in the NFL, so be it. There is a pretty good history of Heisman Trophy winners being mediocre NFL players . On the other hand Payton Manning is a much better NFL player than college player. College and the NFL are simply different games.

AU Bassman

Two names for you, Danny Weurful, David Green. Both were probobly the best college QB'S to play the game. Both were probobly two of the biggest busts to ever take a snap in the pro ranks.

A lot of difference in the pro game and the college level. Success in D1 does'nt always equate to a great pro career. Tebow's a gamer and will find his spot in the pro game. It may not be as a QB. Meyer did'nt do a whole lot to get him ready in my opinion.

rex upshaw

Two names for you, Danny Weurful, David Green. Both were probobly the best college QB'S to play the game. Both were probobly two of the biggest busts to ever take a snap in the pro ranks.

not sure i'd say biggest bust. i think of a bust as a player who was projected (or drafted) in the first round, that goes on to do nothing. ryan leaf was a bust, heath shuler was a bust, andre ware was a bust. dg was not a high round pick and nobody expected him to come to the nfl and do much. i think most figured he would be holding a clipboard.

AU Bassman

How many national championships did Weurful win at florida? Green was the winningest QB in D1 when he graduated. One would think that these two would have had at least a showing in the pros, high draft pick or not.

Plenty of guys out there that were not high draft picks that have had great careers. Tom Brady and Brett Favre are a couple.

whitworth

Been happening for decades

College star players don't make in Pro football; players you never heard of become Hall of Fame giants.

rex upshaw

How many national championships did Weurful win at florida? Green was the winningest QB in D1 when he graduated. One would think that these two would have had at least a showing in the pros, high draft pick or not.

Plenty of guys out there that were not high draft picks that have had great careers. Tom Brady and Brett Favre are a couple.

we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

tjl1388

134608.gif

I'm just having too much fun with this one...:rofl:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J6_1Pw1xm9U&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J6_1Pw1xm9U&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I wish him the best but I just don't think it will be at QB.

Last edited:

DBM78

A lot of difference in the pro game and the college level. Success in D1 does'nt always equate to a great pro career. Tebow's a gamer and will find his spot in the pro game. It may not be as a QB. Meyer did'nt do a whole lot to get him ready in my opinion.

Danny Wuerffel was drafted in the 4th round and David Greene was drafted in the 3rd. I hardly consider both of them bust. Most bust are 1st round or top 10 picks that never pan out at the next level.

Latest posts