Morgan Falls

weagle

I had the day off last Wednesday, so I did a bunch of chores around the house...ha ha scratch that... I went fishing. I hit one of my favorite spots near the house, the river below Morgan Falls Dam. It was crazy hot, but I managed to catch a mixed bag of big fish and little fish. There is a wide range of fishing conditions within a few hundred yards of the dam and it's accessible via a small boat or fishing Kayak. You can fish the flat shallow rocky river, or the calm flood pool lake behind the sea wall. You can also cast right up in the generation gates in the fast moving water. (boat must stay 50ft back per state law)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Geffellz18

Cool-good mixed bag.
Went there for the first time about 2 months ago. Pretty cool place. Just fished from the pier thingamajig since I had a meeting to go to that day. Didn’t catch anything.
Need to toss the kayak in down there one day!

Nice work @weagle ! I've always struggled after the late spawn but catching a big one that close to the bank has got to be fun.

Did they ever fix the ramp to the metal dock at the park there?

weagle

Nice work @weagle ! I've always struggled after the late spawn but catching a big one that close to the bank has got to be fun.

Did they ever fix the ramp to the metal dock at the park there?

I think they fixed the ramp because the outfit that rents Kayaks uses it constantly. I go down the dirt path behind the Kayak rental place and put in from the shore.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Before the riverside construction boom a few decades ago silted in above the dam raising water temps below, there was a great population of brown trout downstream through Cochran shoals, past 285 all the way down to I-75 where we'd take out. Those are some fine looking bass. Gil

chriswkbrd

Very nice! How is the silt just below the dam there, is it still super shallow?

weagle

Very nice! How is the silt just below the dam there, is it still super shallow?

If you are asking about the main channel. It filled in with a big sand bar when we had so much rain last year and it was coming over the flood gates constantly, but this year they have run the generation gates a lot and it cut the sand bar out of there.

Behind the wall in the flood pool it's always shallow.