Morning or evening?

Csanning44

Been tracking a big and old buck in the south. I’m bow hunting him. Consistently see him right after sunset, but usually right after legal shooting light. Sometimes see him in the morning but well before shooting light. Cold front coming in this week. I don’t want to spook him so I’d like to just sit in the stand once this week. Should I do first evening of the cold front, second evening, or the morning of the second day when the air pressure is highest? Read somewhere that when air pressure is high and temp is low deer are on their feet more. Any advise?

hunter84

I would say that the weather will not effect his routine very much because if is an old man he didn't get that way by accident he knows there is safety when the light is low I wouldn't pressure him to much and wait for the rut and hope he makes a mistake chasing doe's

brdyhll

I have 3 deer mounted on my wall. All three were shot in the evening but during the rut. I prefer evenings but mostly because I get more chances to hunt evenings and I’ve always had better luck then. With that being said I’d hunt him any and everytime I could as long as the wind is right and if he’s following the same path every evening can you move closer to where he’s coming from?

Csanning44

I have 3 deer mounted on my wall. All three were shot in the evening but during the rut. I prefer evenings but mostly because I get more chances to hunt evenings and I’ve always had better luck then. With that being said I’d hunt him any and everytime I could as long as the wind is right and if he’s following the same path every evening can you move closer to where he’s coming from?
I think I’m pretty close to his bedding area. If I get the right wind one day I may try to sneak a little closer

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You will not pattern or forecast his movements. He's old, and he's smart, but even the old and smart make mistakes.

Your best bet is to spend as much time as you can in his neighborhood, and be there when he screws up.

This ^ and you better pay real close attention to the wind. He's gonna be just out of sight and if he picks up on your scent, see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I certainly don’t know, but wish you success! I’d hunt him every chance I get if I were after him.

rugerfan

I think I’m pretty close to his bedding area. If I get the right wind one day I may try to sneak a little closer

If you are just outside of his bedroom, and you can get your wind right, I would be there early midday, of course do your best to not to bust him out of there. Be patient, look for signs of rubbing and scraping near the bedding area. He may be up hanging out near the bedding area before before he starts his routine. He isn't dumb, if you think he has you patterned, change up the pattern.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Nice one, Congrats again.