Morning vs Evening during early season????

James12

Lotta good points on early mornings early in the year here, easy to mess one up that way. This year I might actually hunt mornings for a bit though as I’ve got an old dude that if he keeps his pattern through early Sept, that’ll be the only way I see him.

humblehunter22

Lotta good points on early mornings early in the year here, easy to mess one up that way. This year I might actually hunt mornings for a bit though as I’ve got an old dude that if he keeps his pattern through early Sept, that’ll be the only way I see him.

Exactly I agree it is all on a case by case basis and situation dictating I believe. I am going to switch things up as far as my routine and see how things play out early on out the gate and avoid the main areas of interest I intend on venturing to as far as the morning hunts go and instead save those areas for afternoon trips instead. For the mornings I will just play it by ear and possibly explore some new ground and pick some areas on the map that stand out to me to try for the mornings in hopes of a potential unexpected surprise.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I haven't killed a big buck in the morning since, well, I can't remember killing one. I do hunt almost exclusively in the afternoons though. In the last 5 years, 9 big bucks fell in the afternoons. Some whoppers too.
Anytime you can go is a good time. :)
only reason you ain’t killed a deer in the AM, is cause your behind is in bed! I’d bet you’d kill them in the morning too………if you went!
I think this year I’ll go more in the hot season, I’m just gonna stay closer to the truck!

Trashy woods with only a handful of acorn trees is a bowhunters paradise if he play the wind right.(y)

I walked a new to me bottom this week that looks promising. Mostly bigger pines with some good white and other oak varieties, but not an endless amount for sure. There is a few years old clear cut on one side and pine thickets on the other. Lots of smaller feeder creeks coming into this bottom so there are several big intersections with trees that should produce…….when I don’t know though.
Also, Someone cut around a bunch of sweetgums to kill them so I ain’t the only one who likes this bottom. Question though, how long does a feed tree last? Or how long does a tree take to drop its acorns?
I made a few big circles scouting this area and have a few trees tacked for different scenarios such as wether or not a certain gate will be open, wind etc.

Hillbilly stalker

A feed tree last until they find something they like better or someone runs them off of it. There’s no telling exactly when it will drop and at what rate. I always take a set of binoculars with me when I’m scouting acorn trees, if a tree doesnt have acorns….or very few, move on your spinning your wheels. If it does, mark it on your gps and note which wind direction you need to hunt it. It’s a good time to look around a little and find a tree to climb also. I have killed 2-3 deer off of one and it just dry up, scout more and them find another. The art to a feed tree is being able to read one, it takes a little while. If the tree is just starting to drop and they are barely hitting it, it’s just coming in. If it’s blistered, you will find several piles of scat, leaves look almost mulched with busted caps and punch marks everywhere. And then also you can start to tell when it’s going out kinda like they have found something else. You might be hunting a couple red oaks and the sign just dry up, that usually means that the deer have found a white oak that’s dropping. Always listen for the squirrels when you are scouting, they will be working the trees that have the most ripe acorns that are fixen to fall. A squirrel hardly ever busts the cap on a acorn, he can pull it right off. A deer will bust the caps when he bites down. Once you’ve found you a handful of possible feed trees, it’s just a matter of checking them every 3 or 4 days to find when their dropping.

buckshed

Killed my 2 biggest bow bucks first week of bow season in the pm...but i have a spot this year that I cut a lane through edge of clearcut that looks down on a hardwood strip between cuts and it's loaded with muscadines.if there's an easterly wind that day I'll be there in the am

ninjaneer

I prefer hunting morning's for my convenience. Tracking, butchering, packing out etc. I'd say evenings are more productive overall & best for larger bucks early season.