Most delicious fish, and nearest beach.

nof2souf

Hi,

wonder if anyone could help answer the following questions?
I'm transplanted here from NJ.

1) I used to go fishing for tautogs regularly in NJ. it is a lot of fun and the fish is delicious!
I can't catch togs here in GA. Is there any comparable fish I could fish from the shore?

2) What are the most delicious fishes you could catch from Georgia shores?

3) What's the nearest beach to visit for surf fishing from Gwinnett county, GA?

thank you!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I have heard folks say that your tautogs and our sheepshead are very similar...Sheeps eat real good.

Flounder, redfish, and whiting are all good eating also.

The closest Ga. location to you would be Tybee.

lampern

Flounder or mangrove (gray) snapper are very tasty.

I believe both have to be 12 inches to keep but very tasty and can be caught from shore.

Whiting, spot, croaker, sea trout are good to eat as well

You can sometimes catch togs off of Myrtle Beach, SC if you care during the winter.

seachaser

I’m a big fan of the Panama City beach area and not much farther then other beaches. Redfish trout and snapper can all be caught from shore or wading and there all 3 delicious. You can also surf fish spring and fall for pompano for another tasty meal.

almoore

I grew up in NJ and agree about Tautog. My folks used to stuff and bake them. The closest fish down here is sheepshead. Then maybe smaller black drum. Our favorite fish was flounder. Whiting is good and they can be plentiful in the surf. Pompano are delicious. But as I'm sure you know, flounder, whiting, sea trout etc are nothing like a tautog.

nof2souf

thank you for all the suggestions!
I watched some videos on Panama City Beach, it is beautiful.

When the weather is warmer, I'm going to take my wife and son there.

I read up on sheapshead. It is so much alike Togs - eat crustaceans. notorious bait stealers, found near rock structures. In NJ and Montauk there is an obsession with Stripers but I'm always drawn to fishing for togs. it is addictive.

can't wait to surf fishing for some pomps, sheapshead and summer flounders here in the South.

Redbow

All the fish mentioned above are good. Bluefish is one of my favorites to eat and Black Drum. But the true chicken of the Sea is a Puffer fish the ones that blow up like a ball when caught. Nothing compares with them IMO.

In January and February I would focus on sheepshead. Around pier pilings if you don't have a boat. Or in creeks with structure. Lots of good spots on both Tybee and Jekyll.

Although counter intuitative, Tybee and Jekyll are roughly the same travel time from metro Atlanta. I'm currently more familiar with Tybee, but hope to change that over time.

Best bait would be fiddlers, oysters or barnacles.

Sheepshead are tasty. If you've got nothing to do, head to the coast and bring a cooler.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mullet, flounder, speckled trout, reds, spanish makerel, black sea bass, mangrove snapper, sheephead, whiting, croaker, pompano are all delicious and are inshore fish. Well worth your time to target these if you like to eat fish. Smaller black drum are also good eating.

Anvil Head

In my experience, almost any fresh caught saltwater fish, if cooked properly, is tasty. I do have a preference for sheephead and blues. But, eat most of the other species just not a big fan of mudmuckers.

Sixes

Black sea bass tops the list, but it takes a whole lot of them for a good meal.

I love fried sea trout also, and mullet dip

nof2souf

I read that there are Southern Flounders and then there are Summer flounders. Yea, one of my favorite fishes to eat. Incidentally, I was at Whole Food, surprised that halibut (flatfish) sells for $24 second only to Chilean Seabass.

It seems like no one mentioned stingrays/skates and it gives me the impression that fishermen find catching them a nuisance. Any reason why?
Where I'm from in Asia - arguably every town has a stingray/skates grill stall. I would take a sweet, sour, spicy grilled stingrays/skates over Chilean Seabass or any fish any day of the week.

Anvil Head

Lot has to do with way you cook and what stuff you use to flavor with.

Anvil Head

Don't target skate, most I catch are small. So don't keep them, got a recipe? I'm in game to try it at least once.

Foster

I read that there are Southern Flounders and then there are Summer flounders. Yea, one of my favorite fishes to eat. Incidentally, I was at Whole Food, surprised that halibut (flatfish) sells for $24 second only to Chilean Seabass.

It seems like no one mentioned stingrays/skates and it gives me the impression that fishermen find catching them a nuisance. Any reason why?
Where I'm from in Asia - arguably every town has a stingray/skates grill stall. I would take a sweet, sour, spicy grilled stingrays/skates over Chilean Seabass or any fish any day of the week.

Stingrays are thick off the waters of the Georgia coast in the Spring through Fall and easy to catch. I am not sure if they are there in the winter as I don't get down there.

nof2souf

Don't target skate, most I catch are small. So don't keep them, got a recipe? I'm in game to try it at least once.

You could search on google or youtube for "Ikan Bakar" recipe. Literal translation of grilled fish in Malay. The recipe goes well with flounders too. If you could find banana leaves, I recommend grilling with banana leaves.