Most Memorable Hunting Story

Tom Borck

Banned
I love to hear other hunting stories. So, lets hear it!! Deer, Moose, Bear, Elk, etc.....

Here is one of my favorites. This is not my biggest buck, but it is certainly one I will always remember!

Date: October 26, 1996
Time: 10:30 AM
Place: Jenkins County, Georgia
Weapon: 30-06 Ruger 165 gr. Federal Premium
Stand: From the ground
Camo: Various camo patterns.
Hunting Accessories: Used my mouth as a grunt call.
Weather: Sunny and cool with a slight breeze
Spread 15 in. good tine length
Weight: 190 live weight

It was Tuesday morning and my dad was hunting with me and I took a few days off work to go hunting. My dad was recently divorced and he was staying at my house for a few days while we were hunting.

We left the house early that morning and headed towards our stands. My dad dropped me off and he drove to the other side of the property. I walked in the hunting area and climb my stand as I normally do. I saw a small 4 point, spike and two good bucks. I watched one large buck walk right to me and then disappeared in the cutover. Shortly after I caught some movement off to my left. The other buck moved off to my right and I knew it could not have been the same buck. This big buck had two nice drop tines, lots of mass and just simply a monster. I had one chance to shoot and hesitated because he was walking and I was afraid I might gut shoot him. I could not believe I had to let this monster go!! To say I was discouraged would have been an understatement. About 10:00 I decided climb out of my stand and walk back to my lock-on stand and check for rubs and scrapes. As I was walking back to the stand a small 6 point chased a doe right by me! The buck was within spitting distance and I don’t spit very far. He was probably 20 feet away and never once saw me. I could have dropped him in a heartbeat, but decided to let him walk. I continued on towards my lock-on stand and heard some movement out in front of me. I got down on one knee and peered through the undergrowth. I could clearly see a buck chasing a doe, but I could not tell how many points the buck had. As I kneeled on the ground with my safety off and ready to fire I grunted with my mouth, almost like a burp. This buck came CHARGING through the woods right in on me! There he stood 10 FEET from me and never once knew I was there! His mouth was open and he was breathing heavy, and he was visibly upset! My rifle was already raised, so I looked through the scope and realized he was too close. I looked over the top of the scope and pulled the trigger, perfect shot and he went right down! This is one of my most memorable deer hunts! The excitement and adrenaline from this hunt will be with me for the rest of my life. The buck was not the biggest one I have killed, but man was it the best hunt ever!

Attachments

• ruttinbuck.jpg
    ruttinbuck.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 322

Vectorman

Two years ago on the Ossabaw Parent/Child hunt. My Daughter and I took a pair of camo folding chairs with us to our spot. We found a big blow down and set up behind it so she would have a rest to shoot off of. About 15 minutes before shooting light, 6-8 piglets walked under the blowdown and right under our chairs. One of them squeeled and they all ran off in all directions. It was hard not to laugh out loud. About an hour after daylight, I saw a doe about 50 yards away walking thru the area and pointed to out to my daughter. The deer stopped long enough for her to take a shot with her H&R 30/30. It was a perfect shot and the hand loaded 125 gr. bal tip dropped the deer in it's tracks. My daughter started jumping up and down hooping and hollering. I was trying to get her to be quiet because there might be more deer around. We prayed::; and thanked God for the deer and the great time we had. When we walked over to where the deer was. It turned out to be a little buck with one inch spikes. It was her first deer and I'll never forget it. :clap:

Vectorman

huntfish

1997 Hunting Season with Dad

My most memorable hunting story would be with my dad during the 1997 hunting season. Let me set the stage for my dad. In January, they found a mast in his lungs and successfully removed it. Then in March, they removed a bone spur and part of his big toe. Then in June, he was transporting the grandsons accross Florida to my brother's house and he gets T-Boned by red light runner that resulted in the car flipping and making three complete roll-overs. Health wise; a punctured lung, broken ribs and multiple bruises. As you can see he was beaten up quite a bit. Come October, he is still hurting and having a rough time of it. I tried to cancel our annual trip to Colorado but he persisted. :confused:

After driving to Colorado, he is really hurting and I can see that it will be difficult for him to stalk the goats. To make matters worse, he applied and was drawn for a buck tag but put in the wrong management unit; one that we don't have access to. We decide to get my buck first and then try to find somewhere for him to hunt. Opening morning, I get my buck after a long stalk and dad is almost in tears due to the pain. Now the hard work, finding a place and getting my dad in range.

While driving the roads, I spot three bucks bedded with about 20 does about 600 yards away on a hill side. We drive up to the nearest ranch house and he graciously grants permission to hunt. Drive the truck to the back side of the hill and proceed to stalk. While, crawling under a fence, my backpack "twings" the wire and when I stand up, I'm looking at the face of a legal buck who immediately runs off. Dad and each run up and are divided by a cedar tree on the top. I see the buck stop at about 200 yards and tell my dad to shoot. To my suprise, he tells me to shut up and he's looking to the left. The buck he is watching is trying to backtrack around us and crosses the hill top that we are standing. If you ever hunt antelope, remember that they do not like to cross fences unless pressed. Dad's says stay still and sure enough, out steps the buck (my first look) near where I "twinged" the wire. I'm now watching the largest antelope I ever seen and patiently waiting for dad to shoot. At a hundred yards, dad anchors him with one shot. Antelope scores 82 B&C points qualifying for all time entry.

I have to leave Colorado to go back to work, and when dad stops by on the way back, I find out he has also shot a 30" 5 point mule deer. Since rifle season is open, I invite him along to hunt the next day. After setting up camp, we drive on the property and spot a buck crossing the RR tracks. Dad decides to drive the deer towards my stand and gets out. I motor down the road and just as I'm getting in my stand, a shot rings out behind me. I give it 30 minutes and watch a couple does cross in front. I leave the stand to find dad. Yep, he's got a 20" 10 point on the ground and a grin wider than the grand canyon. I'm not sure who is more happier.

Yep, the 1997 season with my dad is my most memorable. Battered, beaten and hurting, my dad completes the season with his largest antelope, mule deer and whitetail. I'll never forget. :clap: :clap: :clap:

letsgohuntin

Great Topic Tom...

My favorite hunt was on the last day of the season in 2001... by no means was he a large buck, just a small unsymetrical 5 point rack.

It was the last hunt (morning) of a long and unsuccessfull season. I was sitting on a very large field of 2ft high planted pines. My strategy was to sit where I could see a lot of ground, hoping to at least catch a doe slipping through. Unfortunately, as day light broke a very heavy fog moved in. I literally couldn't see 50 yards away. I was disgusted that my last hunt of the year was ruined. I sat there about an hour and decided I was just wasting time since I couldn't see anything. The best plan I had was to slip back into the wood line where there was a small creek. We didn't have a stand in this area of the woods and have never even hunted in there. I decided to take the chance and sit on the ground by the creek, so I ease in and find a suitable tree to lean back on about 5 ft from the water... watching the opposite bank. I haven't been sitting no more than 3 minutes and I see a buck making his way through some thick undergrowth . I picked out an opening in the thick stuff and put my scope on it. When he walked in I fired and he was down about 50 yards later.

Like I said he was certainly not a "trophy" sized buck... but the feeling I had of sneeking in on his turf and surprising him was awesome and just knowing that the plan worked out perfectly! :clap:

Handgunner

My favorite hunting story would have to be my wife's first deer and her first buck.

Her first deer was a buttonhead and you can read her story here. Jamie's Buttonhead

The next would be her first real buck. Here's the story, with a photo to accompany it.

Opening weekend all around was very, very good to me. But it started way before Oct. 18th. My wife, Jamie, and I had been getting my stand ready and the woods/field we'd be hunting. Along with my uncles, we planted a corn patch alongside a hill that on the upper side was joined by an oak ridge, followed by slash pines. We plowed the field, fertilized it, cleaned the stand up, cut a shooting lane through the funnel area between my stand and a pond, etc... Just chomping at the bit to get closer to opening day. It was the first time either of us would hunt my great uncle Clydes farm. When it arrived, it would be putting it lightly to say we were "READY".

Jamie has never killed a nice buck. Having taken only one button head, and does in the years she's been with me, it was my promise to mount the first "buck" she took -- no matter what the size, as long as he had antlers.

About an hour before daylight that Saturday morning, we made our way to the stand after parking the truck. The stars were bright, it was cool, and right before climbing into "DFA" some coyotes sang out. I had a good feeling about the morning. Fellow hunters know that feeling I'm talking about.

After climbing into the stand and getting settled, we shared a small bag of animal crackers and a bottle of OJ. Daylight would be breaking soon, so we gave each other a good luck kiss, donned our face masks, and waited for daylight.

Shortly after daylight, all was quiet with the exception of the birds, crickets and such in the nearby pond. I quietly whispered to her, "if you see one, just tap my leg".

I had no longer turned my head to look at my side of the field and funnel area when, forget my leg, she let out on a steady chant of "buck, buck, buck"..... I looked her way and didn't see a thing, but she kept insisting, "buck buck buck". I leaned back and sure enough, a buck was trotting his way across her side of the corn field, right towards us! At 20 yards, he stopped and turned broadside to look down the corn rows. Jamie was FROZE! She was attempting to get my 7mag up to her shoulder but was moving very slow... I taught her that... But only when the deer is looking at you! He was looking away, at 20 yards, and she's hardly moving. I told her "you better do something... Move that rifle!!". She did and after shaking, breathing, and repeating "I can't calm down, I can't calm down" I assured her, "take a breath, pick a spot, squeeze the trigger, he's yours"... I was watching the end of the barrel and folks, it was shaking like the proverbial "dog passin' peach seeds". After constantly saying "calm down, calm down".. I watched the barrel slowly come to a stand still and fire escape it. The buck spun to the left and took off.

In the early morning sun, we could see the bright red blood splattered along the corn stalks. She was worried, "He ran off, He ran off!!!". I told her "He won't go far, I promise you. You hit him perfect". And she did. Right behind the right shoulder in that crease.

After reloading the gun she handed it to me the best she could. I told her we'd sit for another hour or so, to see if anything else showed up and then we'd go see her deer.

Folks, that didn't work. She wanted to go, NOW. And NOW she did. A fireman's pole couldn't have gotten her down any faster than the 10 foot ladder did. Across the field she trekked, and shortly after, out of the wood line she came -- dragging her buck!

I could not have been more proud of my wife than I was that day. She's hunted with me for 5 years now and finally scored on a nice buck. She's been a trooper, and for a first buck, she's done pretty good for her self.

Here it is, in all his glory, and I kept my promise...

Attachments

• jamie8.jpg
    jamie8.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 141

raghorn

My favorites would also be when all my sons got their first bucks, I can still remember every detail about them, but usually can't even tell you what day of the week it is........I have 4 sons though ,so that would crash the system if I typed that much. :yeah:

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
lets see would it be 11/4/95 2-8pts from a ground seat on a gas pipe line-- one in AM one in PM #1 scored 100.3 195# before dressing on a processers scale #2 scored 99.0 wt 165# I think dressed or 11/23/96 10pt scored 122.3 (#16 Douglas county in the Georgia Whitetail Journal record book-my small claim to fame) all in Douglas county on a approx 300 acre lease I was the "new" member the nut that was wearing something called "SCENT LOCK" clothing?????? hunting a small corner of the lease everyone else ignored all taken within 75 yrds of each other after the 3rd buck for some reason I had a lot of company in that section of the lease 1996 lease sold to land developer--NO HUNTING ----- PS I never got the big buck I had seen in the area

Last edited:

Atlsooner

Tom............it would have to be April 23,2005 when we had a plan on those Turkeys and it came through! :cheers:

H

HT2

T Boink.........

Me killin' my first deer - 1976...........

3-pointer, on opening morning of rifle season.......

I'll never, ever forget it....... :flag:

huntaholic

Got Two

2001 Me an my oldest son whent down to Hancock cty it was friday afternoon, We had the hole weekend to hunt an my son wanted to hunt the food plot so I dropped him off there. Well It was buck only an not doe days so I drove my mule to the back. I had never killed a big deer an I had got two with my bow so I was thinking I would just enjoy the weekend, well I had only been in my stand about 15 min an I herd a shot an I am thinking what are they shooting at its 4 pts or better, an then I here a deer coming through the woods almost got my camera out then I got to seeing parts of the deer he stoped at the clearing down the hill an looked my way a big 10 pt shot him behind the leg. My son herd the mule crank up anyway we found the deer :clap: we were the only ones down that weekend, :bounce: Last year me an my son were hunting an the wind was blowing hard I didnt here a shot all morning an at 10 am I herd my son shoot, he was hunting in a stand that I gave him a few years ago. Well I waited about 20 min an walked out from the back my son was standing BIG SMILE an he said Dad I got the BIG ONE an he did an 8 pt with a 16in inside spread, He had seen this deer the weekend before an once again we were the only ones at the cabin. :clap: Seeing my son kill a nice DEER made my HUNTING SEASON. :clap:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
long story short.........

big palmated 4 1/2 year old 8 point in Oglethorpe County, with my bow..........had to wait till the second to the last day of bow season before I had the opportunity to hunt the stand with the wind right........got him right at sundown....... :D

Lthomas

Early Sept.. Willow, Ak. Flew up to visit with a friend and moose hunt. Within a couple hours of picking me up at Anchorage air port. I was sittin in the saddle of two ridges. one side was thick bedding area and the other was swamp feeding areas. Well after sittin there for an hour I fell asleep due to the long flight from Orlando with a 3 hour layover in Chicago. I woke up a bit latter finding a huge cow moose only a few feet away. I could of reached out and touched her with my bow. This was my first encounter with a moose. She had a small calf with her. I was pretty nervous and anxious. I just thank the lord I was not between her and that calf.

the HEED!

Banned
First time I ever went!

My brother put me up in a metal ladder with plywood on top tied up to a pine. The wind was blowing like it was never gonna blow again and blew that stand around the pine due to swaying, I slid off with a single shot twelve guage in my hand with a slug! I threw the gun(bad idea) and it landed pointing at my face but didnt go off! Thank GOD! Now I am just gald to get to go hunting after falling ten feet and not breaking anything or blowing my head off!