Most religions against homosexuality?

Artfuldodger

If the God of Abraham is against homosexuality, why are most of the other so called Gods also against homosexuality?
If there is no correlation of Gods between the continents, how did the false God believers come up with the same concept of the one and only true God?
Did the one and only true God secretly put his belief into the false religion believers heads? If so why would he do this? Is homosexuality so bad that it's just a coincidence like murder? Why would some Atheist be against homosexuality?
I'm trying to see why it's more than a Christianity sin.

gordon 2

If the God of Abraham is against homosexuality, why are most of the other so called Gods also against homosexuality?
If there is no correlation of Gods between the continents, how did the false God believers come up with the same concept of the one and only true God?
Did the one and only true God secretly put his belief into the false religion believers heads? If so why would he do this? Is homosexuality so bad that it's just a coincidence like murder? Why would some Atheist be against homosexuality?
I'm trying to see why it's more than a Christianity sin.

In what other religions is it a sin?

centerpin fan

So that's three said under Abraham. What other world religions? or Gods? have it being against the topic?

I don't think other major religions have the same concept of "sin" that the Abrahamic faiths have. I did a quick search on Buddhism and Hinduism but could not find anything conclusive.

gordon 2

I don't think other major religions have the same concept of "sin" that the Abrahamic faiths have. I did a quick search on Buddhism and Hinduism but could not find anything conclusive.

Shinto is an unlikely candidate as well.

Artfuldodger

In what other religions is it a sin?

I truly thought it was a sin or frowned upon by the whole world but it does appear to be mostly in Christian & Muslim Countries. Within those two, Christians, are the most tolerant or progressive in views toward homosexuals. Christians are also more tolerable in women's rights too. Any correlation?

I guess in all the other non-Christian or Muslim countries there just aren't many homosexuals. They didn't need any laws/sins against homosexuality.
In the Holy Lands at some point homosexuality must have gotten out of hand and thus needed laws/sins to control it.

Unless, unless there wasn't any more homosexuals in the Holy Land than anywhere else and the laws/sins were for heterosexuals. People exchanging one way for another. People abandoning one way for another.

Big7

The Oracle
Taking religion out of it, don't make no sense.

Parts don't exactly mesh.. if you know what I mean.

Artfuldodger

Taking religion out of it, don't make no sense.

Parts don't exactly mesh.. if you know what I mean.

While that is true for me too but in the USA which religions do we leave in it? I never dated black women but would hate to think our laws prevented it. I don't like for women to wait on me at the lumber stores but I don't believe we should have rules against hiring them. I am glad they finally let women be loan officers at the bank though.

Artfuldodger

As more Muslims move into the US do y'all see an alliance forming with Christians to support the anti-gay agenda?
Even with no alliance it should happen anyway as their religion of not much gay tolerance overtakes liberal Christian views. Maybe even to the point of making gay sex illegal.

gordon 2

I truly thought it was a sin or frowned upon by the whole world but it does appear to be mostly in Christian & Muslim Countries. Within those two, Christians, are the most tolerant or progressive in views toward homosexuals. Christians are also more tolerable in women's rights too. Any correlation?

I guess in all the other non-Christian or Muslim countries there just aren't many homosexuals. They didn't need any laws/sins against homosexuality.
In the Holy Lands at some point homosexuality must have gotten out of hand and thus needed laws/sins to control it.

Unless, unless there wasn't any more homosexuals in the Holy Land than anywhere else and the laws/sins were for heterosexuals. People exchanging one way for another. People abandoning one way for another.

"I guess in all the other non-Christian or Muslim countries there just aren't many homosexuals."

You make the darnest statements sometimes. I suspect you are being sarcastic. Also,the Prme Minister of Iran once saint this exact same thing concerning his country. No wait, he said there was none! :)

gordon 2

As more Muslims move into the US do y'all see an alliance forming with Christians to support the anti-gay agenda?
Even with no alliance it should happen anyway as their religion of not much gay tolerance overtakes liberal Christian views. Maybe even to the point of making gay sex illegal.

No. And, no. The freedom within Christianity, the freedom of choice, is very much opposed to denying choice to others and this is transferred to society. I don't think making sexual behaviors a crime is going to happen any time soon in our part of the world.

:offtopic: I recall when in the 1960 and early 70 an interview question for federal government employment was, " Are you homosexual?" And some employment descriptions stated that homosexuals could not be employed .

The idea was that the communists could bribe federal employees, and recruit them as spies, among other things. (There was also a fear that homosexuals were prone to be communist sympathizers in those days--for the goings on in English universities perhaps and in the west in general homosexuality was suspect of subversion or open rebellion against society. )

I always thought the employment requirement was kind of foolish because the stipulation did indeed create a prime candidate for communist recruitment at the federal level...

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

"I guess in all the other non-Christian or Muslim countries there just aren't many homosexuals."

You make the darnest statements sometimes. I suspect you are being sarcastic. Also,the Prme Minister of Iran once saint this exact same thing concerning his country. No wait, he said there was none! :)

Perhaps a little sarcastic but what I'm wondering or trying to show is, even without laws and sins against homosexuals, it isn't widespread. Even in areas we as Christians haven't spread the gospel, they aren't overrun with homosexuals. They don't even have laws against them. Their religions don't forbid homosexuality.
For this reason I believe God was referring to heterosexuals who "exchanged" or "abandoned" their sexuality for another types. They "turned" in many other ways also.

Last edited:

TTom

Common in Greece in ancient times, common in Rome also in ancient times, some poly theistic religions had gods that were I guess the closest idea would be patron deity of homosexuality.
Hindu Pantheon has one, Summerian Mythology includes Gilgamesh and his lover Enkidu. Ancient Chinese Shamanistic mythos contain homosexual depictions, Tale of the Rabbit God.

I'd say the question's premise is an over reach

TTom

As to why so many would be against it, a lack of ability to understand why men would find each other desireable in that way.

I don't understand it myself, but I have gotten past the idea of needing to understand it.

Artfuldodger

Interesting how Native Americans viewed gays as "two spirited."

Two-spirit people (also two spirit or twospirit) is a modern umbrella term used by some indigenous North Americans for gender-variant individuals within their communities. Non-Native anthropologists have historically used the term berdaches /bÉ™rˈdæʃɨz/ for individuals who fulfill one of many mixed gender roles in First Nations and Native American tribes, but this term has more recently fallen out of favour.

Two-spirit people (also two spirit or twospirit) is a modern umbrella term used by some indigenous North Americans for gender-variant individuals within their communities. Non-Native anthropologists have historically used the term berdaches /bÉ™rˈdæʃɨz/ for individuals who fulfill one of many mixed gender roles in First Nations and Native American tribes, but this term has more recently fallen out of favour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit

mdgreco191

Homosexuality is an unnatural act. I don't say that to be controversial I am just stating a fact. Men and women were obviously meant to procreate. Having sexual relations with the same gender is just plain unnatural. I don't think it has anything to do with religion. It only has to do with human nature.

Artfuldodger

Homosexuality is an unnatural act. I don't say that to be controversial I am just stating a fact. Men and women were obviously meant to procreate. Having sexual relations with the same gender is just plain unnatural. I don't think it has anything to do with religion. It only has to do with human nature.

While I see your point, it is a part of religion. Religion came before humans. God was before creation. The Word was already written.

The marriage analogy is often used within Christianity. Israel left her husband and became a prostitute. Israel exchanged the worship of their God for that of idols.

mdgreco191

To a point I made earlier in another thread the word was not written before man. Again I understand that the Bible was the inspired word of God written through human beings. But anything that man touches can be tainted. Therefore literally taking the Bible word for word is probably not a good idea.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting how Native Americans viewed gays as "two spirited."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Spirit

And I think this lore is propagated all out of proportion by the modern spin doctors. While this may have been true in a tribe or two, there were thousands of culturally distinct tribes in North America, and from what is known, most of them frowned on homosexuality also.