Mountain Camo

splatek

UAEC
I like this discussion, because I have been on the fence about buying into the whole "technical garments" -
I really like merino wool and that's about all I know. Gotta check out these khakis.

Joe Brandon

I like this discussion, because I have been on the fence about buying into the whole "technical garments" -
I really like merino wool and that's about all I know. Gotta check out these khakis.
Yes I like. I have two pair. One is khaki in color the other is an upland game camo though it doesn't matter to me I just needed it in my size. One thing I really like about the Mountain Khaki brand is that they are made from dry's so quickly. They do not keep you warm though so I only wear them in Fall. I have even worn johnnie longs and a union suit under them and still been cold. But check them out! I imagine them to be a more comfortable/modern version of briar britches. As I have so often found with useful gear, these were originally made for hiking.

whitetailfreak

They're great for hiking the mountains in cool weather. Reinforced knees add a lot of material and thickness so they might burn you up in hot, humid weather. They have a little elasticity built in so they are great for movement and they do not bind you. But just like Sitka, they are overpriced.

Never heard of em' but just pulled up their website. Mercy those are some expensive britches.

Buckman18

A guy at work let me try on his Sitka coat. I think it was down insulated. We walked outside on one of those 15 degree January mornings. It was very impressive how warm it was and how it rolled up into a small pouch. But I dont want to pay the price he paid so I'll just have a heavier pack again this year!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member

ddd-shooter

A guy at work let me try on his Sitka coat. I think it was down insulated. We walked outside on one of those 15 degree January mornings. It was very impressive how warm it was and how it rolled up into a small pouch. But I dont want to pay the price he paid so I'll just have a heavier pack again this year!
I will say this. I was a skeptic of expensive clothing for years. I found some old Camo version sitka for 1/2 price and bit the bullet.
I’ll not doubt again. My only regret is not doing it sooner. If all you do is ride an atv to your treestand, I’m sure it’s not worth it. Bulk up and don’t worry about the extra weight.

If, like me, you trek miles into steep country where you sweat and it’s always blowing 30 knots, a good merino base with a Sitka/gore outer layer is the best thing since backstraps. I can achieve comfort in the tree with only TWO layers all the way down to 20 degrees. Under that, or really windy, I add a vest. That’s it. The merino base helps with the sweat and the gore Tex shell stops the incessant wind. I dont buy sitka base, I buy ski wear thats on sale or black ovis on sale, and I dont buy Sitka without the gore wind stopper, as it is over priced in my opinion.

splatek

UAEC
I will say this. I was a skeptic of expensive clothing for years. I found some old Camo version sitka for 1/2 price and bit the bullet.
I’ll not doubt again. My only regret is not doing it sooner. If all you do is ride an atv to your treestand, I’m sure it’s not worth it. Bulk up and don’t worry about the extra weight.

If, like me, you trek miles into steep country where you sweat and it’s always blowing 30 knots, a good merino base with a Sitka/gore outer layer is the best thing since backstraps. I can achieve comfort in the tree with only TWO layers all the way down to 20 degrees. Under that, or really windy, I add a vest. That’s it. The merino base helps with the sweat and the gore Tex shell stops the incessant wind. I dont buy sitka base, I buy ski wear thats on sale or black ovis on sale, and I dont buy Sitka without the gore wind stopper, as it is over priced in my opinion.

this is what I keep hearing. “Didn’t want to spend the money, but once I did I wished I had done it years ago...”
My issue is with a new little one on the way in a few weeks, spending a couple hundred on “technical hunting gear” isn’t in the budget. so if anybody was looking for a baby shower gift, the new little man wears 36 waist 32 long, large uppers in Sitka. He’sa big boy
?

ddd-shooter

this is what I keep hearing. “Didn’t want to spend the money, but once I did I wished I had done it years ago...”
My issue is with a new little one on the way in a few weeks, spending a couple hundred on “technical hunting gear” isn’t in the budget. so if anybody was looking for a baby shower gift, the new little man wears 36 waist 32 long, large uppers in Sitka. He’sa big boy
?
Totally get it. I can't stand spending money just to say "look what I have" or those who are under the delusion that it'll get me a chance at a deer. I try to get one piece a year. Only when it's on sale.
The same people who buy $500 boots think it's crazy to buy a $120 pair of pants that'll last a few years. I don't see a difference personally.

strothershwacker

Warm weather for me = LL bean boots, thin camo pants and a thin hooded merino wool shirt. Pull the hood up to keep skeeters off. The merino don't stink up as bad. Cool weather for me= Crispi boots, carhartt double front pants, merino base layer and asbell wool pullover. These have been my go to for a while now. Camo is fun to play round with but its probably the least important decision we make as hunters. Just my 2cents on the subject.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
First antlered buck I ever killed was due to me wearing a new blue coverall suit and bright orange vest.
My camo was all soaked from the all night rainstorm the night before.
The buck seen me then stopped on a dime at ten yards. If it wasn’t for the bluesuit that buck would’ve run on by.
My brother missed that day and my nephew was sound asleep when I spooked his buck passed him. Their camo was dry.:p
That blue suit has fooled a few deer on snowy days as well. They all stop on a dime then BOOM!

CroMagnum

Warm weather for me = LL bean boots, thin camo pants and a thin hooded merino wool shirt. Pull the hood up to keep skeeters off. The merino don't stink up as bad. Cool weather for me= Crispi boots, carhartt double front pants, merino base layer and asbell wool pullover. These have been my go to for a while now. Camo is fun to play round with but its probably the least important decision we make as hunters. Just my 2cents on the subject.
I agree about camo being the least important. Just think about it; our parents and grandparents most likely did not have camo and they were probably better hunters than us. I do have to have my snake boots though here in Georgia

WoodlandScout82

For the past month, I've been putting together an entirely new kit of hunting gear. I'm going old school with M81 woodlands as my base this season, with a 5.11 tactical shirt and a Maxpedition Jumbo ASR Versi-pack from the office of the companies president. This should be the perfect suit for stalking during the earlier part of season.
Cupace20200623155522.png