Mountain Glass

KentuckyHeadhunter

I totally understand the above post but my eyes aren't getting any better and I use them frequently to just look to see what that dark patch is in the woods 80 yards away, etc. One time I used them because I saw a guy checking out my Jeep as I returned so I watched for a minute to see what he was doing before just starting a confrontation when no crime occurred. Not gonna use my rifle scope to do that although I'm sure a LOT of people do.
Trust me I wish I didn't need them. That Marsupial makes your chest warmer than I really like but its an awesome harness system.

jbogg

I don’t use binos for hunting in the mountains since the weight penalty is just not worth it to me, but I do use them for summer scouting as I stare into the upper canopy looking for white oak acorns to check back on once the season gets closer.

kayaksteve

I have a set of the vortex 8x42. I never felt the need for them while hunting but bought them to keep in my truck to use here and there. Now I cant stand to go to the woods without them. I carry them pretty much anytime I go in the woods now on one of the basic chest strap harnesses whether I’m hunting or just out scouting. Im wishing I would have went with the 10 power now

splatek

UAEC
If you're archery hunting, I find them indispensable.
Rifle hunting they're really more optional.
I will say I don't ever see me going without binos. They're just so handy. But I'm a bow hunter.

Well, I consider myself a bowhunter, still honing my skills, but I carry a bow in the woods. What makes you think that they are necessary for bowhunting? I like the comment of "keeping my fingers off the phone", but I try to be really still while in stand/on ground. Seems like using BINOS you would be moving a lot. It could be that I don't know what I am doing.

I do feel fortunate that my girl's mom used to work at Gander Mountain in Snellville before they went out of biz. They were practically giving stuff away near the end and particularly to employees. That's part of the reason I started hunting: (1) I always wanted to learn, (2) started watching (actually falling asleep to) The MeatEater show, and (3) she, Lauren's mom, gave me a free crossbow (killed my first deer with that), a free compound bow (killed my second two deer with that), a free AR, and as it turns out she had a pair of binos hanging around. Leupold 10x24 McKenzie's... I am sure they are several years old, but the glass looks clear, not scratched, etc. She also had a Vortex bino chest harness. Both mine now. They seem heavy and awkward and would be strange shooting my bow with that chest harness, but I guess I can try.

rnfarley

I use my binos to basically to scout a lot. I use them walking into the stand to look for deer I might bump, to look at a scrape or rub from 20 yards away and not get too close, to stand at the base of the tree I think I want to climb an scout the trail entrances, to investigate small brushy areas before I crest a ridge, to pick apart shadows on the opposite ridge (I've had deer get up from beds I never knew were there across from my setup and out of bow range and now am dead set on finding them first - which hasn't happened yet), etc. It allows me to be still in one place and cover tons of ground without moving my feet/scent.

As for shooting with a bow. I'm maybe the odd ball out here, but I shoot a recurve from a saddle while wearing a bino harness and ever have issues. I do shoot a pretty vertical bow which may be what saves me, but with a little practice at the house I've never had issues in the tree with the saddle tether or the bino harness that I can recall. Very short learning curve. My favorite bino harness is just a rick young bungee harness which weighs nothing and you can synch pretty tight when the hike gets rough and loosen back up in 2 seconds.

On movement, I find it's like everything else - getting water, snacks, phone, etc - just moving slow, eyes peeled for movement, etc. Once I bring my binos up, I tend to keep them up a while and slowly look through them.

rnfarley

I'll also look at birds or squirrels or acorns or other hunters or whatever. I only wear camo to hide from other humans, not so much animals. Binos help you see what's happening with other hunters, hikers, etc from much further away undetected too.

ddd-shooter

Well, I consider myself a bowhunter, still honing my skills, but I carry a bow in the woods. What makes you think that they are necessary for bowhunting? I like the comment of "keeping my fingers off the phone", but I try to be really still while in stand/on ground. Seems like using BINOS you would be moving a lot. It could be that I don't know what I am doing.

I do feel fortunate that my girl's mom used to work at Gander Mountain in Snellville before they went out of biz. They were practically giving stuff away near the end and particularly to employees. That's part of the reason I started hunting: (1) I always wanted to learn, (2) started watching (actually falling asleep to) The MeatEater show, and (3) she, Lauren's mom, gave me a free crossbow (killed my first deer with that), a free compound bow (killed my second two deer with that), a free AR, and as it turns out she had a pair of binos hanging around. Leupold 10x24 McKenzie's... I am sure they are several years old, but the glass looks clear, not scratched, etc. She also had a Vortex bino chest harness. Both mine now. They seem heavy and awkward and would be strange shooting my bow with that chest harness, but I guess I can try.
Yeah I'm a treestand guy, so anytime you could imagine looking at something in the distance with a scope, I'll use binos.
Movement in the distance? Binos
Spook something walking in? Binos
See a deer? Binos
See a bear? Binos
See a hog? Binos
See any critter you want to examine? Binos
See what you think is a rub? Binos
Obviously, keeping movement to a minimum is key. Also, if the deer is running at you, no binos are needed.
I'll also use binos to determine if a deer or bear is a "shooter."

splatek

UAEC
Yeah I'm a treestand guy, so anytime you could imagine looking at something in the distance with a scope, I'll use binos.
Movement in the distance? Binos
Spook something walking in? Binos
See a deer? Binos
See a bear? Binos
See a hog? Binos
See any critter you want to examine? Binos
See what you think is a rub? Binos
Obviously, keeping movement to a minimum is key. Also, if the deer is running at you, no binos are needed.
I'll also use binos to determine if a deer or bear is a "shooter."

Gotcha. I like it.
I am so new, there ain't nothing out there that isn't a shooter.

WoodlandScout82

I carry a pair of Vortex 10x42s in a T&K Bino harness. I bought the hardware to attach the Bino pack to whatever pack I'm wearing so I only have one set of straps on my shoulders.
In all honesty, I've never needed binos for identifying game, I use them more for glassing the cuts far away and watching bears playing and being bears.