Mountain Turkeys or field Turkeys?

NCMTNHunter

I will always prefer to hunt in the mountains but I’ve had some some dang good hunts in the flat country too. The funny thing is if I walk for three days in the mountains to hear one gobble I have a pretty high level of confidence that I can kill it. If I hear 10 birds gobbling from one spot in the flat country all bets are still off. Those flat country birds with big flocks of hens give me a fit.

Hillbilly stalker

I like mountain birds. They seem to work better. Field turkeys will make a preacher wanna cuss. But then again, after pulling a hill all morning to get on the same level with a mountain bird......only to have him pitch off the side of a mountain to the holler:banginghe

BASS1FUN

It use to be mountains for me but doesn't make any difference to me anymore, I loved the challenge of using the terrain in the mountains but I've also learned to do it on flat lands, I mostly hunt field birds in the Midwest

Tadder

Love hunting em all. I'm getting a little age on me now but still have the desire to climb them hills . Heard one gobble way off 2 weeks ago. Good cool morning just like last spring and at daylight he hammered. Man I enjoy hearing them boys fire off.

Resica

Love hunting em all. I'm getting a little age on me now but still have the desire to climb them hills . Heard one gobble way off 2 weeks ago. Good cool morning just like last spring and at daylight he hammered. Man I enjoy hearing them boys fire off.
I'm with you for sure!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve hunted hill birds some, but nearly my entire turkey hunting career has been with swamp birds, and I dearly love em. It`s a unique challenge with all the sloughs and waterways.

One thing I do know, Once you have them in hand, they`re all the same then.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I agree with Nic , I love em all ! But them palmetto river swamp birds are my favorite ! Nothing like seeing that glowing head bobbing and weaving through palmettos and cypress knees

Buckman18

I love them all, but mountain birds have my heart.

six

A mountain bird that's on his way to a field. A good friend of mine in Kentucky has this scenario. Always a fun and challenging hunt.

buckpasser

You just have to settle in on “field turkeys” if you want to kill them. You call early and then shut up and watch. The heat will put them back to the shade at some point and maybe to your gun. Woods turkeys, like mountain turkeys normally allow for some adjustment and are typically provide a more exciting hunting experience, kill or no kill. I like to kill them no matter what race they belong to!

Timber1

BANNED
Those northern field birds that lay over in the mountains on their way to florida for spring break are one cluck away from death.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Those northern field birds that lay over in the mountains on their way to florida for spring break are one cluck away from death.

Strong words from somebody whose scared of gators. ::ke: