Mow or Spray?

fatback

Just looking for some input. I have about 10-12 acres of food plots that I am going to be planting in the next couple of weeks. The ground has been turned before and had rye planted on it last year by the previous owner. Nothing has been done to it this year and it has grown up some in native grasses/weeds. I know it is going to need to be mowed and sprayed. My questions is, should I mow it then spray a week later or spray first then mow and harrow a week later? I've read several posts with varying thoughts on this and I think I would prefer to spray first then mow/harrow. If I go this route, would a week between spraying and mowing be enough time? I'm just planning on spraying roundup.

I will be bringing in lime before I harrow and plant. It has been too wet to do that so far this year. That is also another reason that I want to spray first, to give it another week to dry out. It is pretty well drained soil and if the long range forecast for my area is correct, it looks like we will have good drying weather conditions over the next couple of weeks, after tomorrow.

This property is new to me and I don't expect the greatest plots this season but I want to start working in that direction now for the future. I've got soil test done and will lime/fertilize as recommended. Any input would be welcomed. Thanks

jam

I would spray asap, mow in a week or so, 2 weeks would better if your schedule would allow. Then I would lime and fertilize and harrow.

Triple C

Mow and spray anytime after mowing. Wait at least 2 weeks for the roots to begin to break down and dry out. Then plant. You will be amazed at how easy it is to turn the soil when the roots are completely dead. Not so much if there's any life left in em.

Philnlucky

We mow and wait around 7- 10 days to spray or after rain when grass is vigorously growing. Allow adequate time for glyphophate to kill all the way to the root zone, usually two weeks prior to harrowing for best results. Good luck!