muscadine mowing

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Today when mowing grass,I stopped at the muscadine vine and filled my front pocket with grapes. Mow a little, throw a grape in your mouth,works out pretty good. I have grapes now,just ran out of figs,pears are about gone. A simple little benefit to growing your own. You have to be conscious of what's in your hand though,a stinkbug or a wasp wouldn't be so good,according to Nicodemus a ladybug can ruin a whole pot of greens,add that one to the list.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I love 'em.

zedex

Gator Bait
I have a neighbor who has wine grade grapes in his yard, along with Japanese pears and plums. Another neighbor has plum and pear trees that produce well. A fella a few doors down grows Washington apples and I have a large cherry tree that does well.
My daughter and I eat lots of fruits, the neighbors tell us to go grab fruits from their places because they dont eat much of it.

Another neighbor has brought over green beans, peas, unshucked corn and bags of tomatoes.

But, even after all that, I still miss muscadines. I use to eat them so much, I'd get stomach sick. But as long as there was one more, I'd eat it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Muscadines make possibly the best jelly on earth, except for maybe elderberries and black raspberries.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
My youngest boy hits the edge of our field on the regular picking and eating all the scumplins he can hold.
And just to argue with the hillbilly, scumplin is only second best to plum jelly.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
To me, wild blackberries make the best jelly, with mayhaw and muscadine a tossup for second.

LTZ25

You can get the best jelly at Kroger it’s pricey but all jelly is , it’s call Hero .

Wifeshusband

We've had a good crop of muscadines this year in west Georgia. Deer love 'em, as do I. My favorite jelly is muscadine jelly and the place to get it is the Country Store at Calloway Gardens. Blackberry picking was a ritual growing up. Back then it didn't matter if you were white or black, rich or poor, snooty or humble, all the kids picked blackberries at one point or another.

GeorgiaGlockMan

you were white or black, rich or poor, snooty or humble, all the kids picked blackberries at one point or another.

I was so poor in college, after I picked a bucket of blackberries, I had to borrow a cup of sugar from one friend and a couple cups of flour from another just to make some cobbler.

You could just about guarantee that they'd have another bucket picked and waiting the next day...

specialk

I've never had it. They don't grow up here.

we had plum-type fruit tree's in VA called damsons.....made the best preserves ever....ya'll got them up there?....

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Sand plums from east Kansas along with Indian peaches.
They grow wild along the side of the roads.