Muscadine Vines Trimmed

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
That looks good! Mine need it bad...

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I was looking at mine yesterday. I need to get that done this week.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a lot of work. I don't usually do it until March here, because they will freeze back. We still have 0 temps coming.

BriarPatch99

I did a Major trim back on four my oldest vines three years ago ...they had gotten on of control ... I cut them back to the main trunk and re-trained ...updated my post and put in better wires .. They were back bearing grapes last year with a fair crop considering how dry it was ...

Hoping to add drip or low sprinklers for each this year ... my old tractor been on the disable list for a few years ... got it working again ...so I can add the pipes ...

I hope when I am gone my kids and grandkids will appreciate it all ... Hand Clippers and bad hand don't mix well ..

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like to do mine before the sap starts rising so the prune will have time to heal over before the sap has risen all the way.
Yeah, timing depends on your location. It's almost about the first of May before that happens much here.

BriarPatch99

Yeah, timing depends on your location. It's almost about the first of May before that happens much here.

We done got blooms or possibly tiny grapes by that time year. ...

But I am in deep South GA ... and the highest hill is a ant bed ... we get go barefoot too..

I noticed today the Red maples are already budding out ... the blueberries are budding too ....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We done got blooms or possibly tiny grapes by that time year. ...

But I am in deep South GA ... and the highest hill is a ant bed ... we get go barefoot too..

I noticed today the Red maples are already budding out ... the blueberries are budding too ....
May 10 is our average last frost date. Muscadines don't even naturally grow up here, but if you plant them in a sheltered place, they do ok.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My blueberries have budded out. The redbuds have budded out and the sycamore’s blossoms are already budded out. Just a little early for this area of Georgia. Late February or Early March is gonna be rough cold weather wise.

turkeykirk

Mine need pruning bad. No clue really how to do it. Any tips for a newbie?
Thanks.