Mushroom Foraging

Luv2Bowhnt

Nic,
How do you prepare your chants? And you are right, the woods are full of mushrooms. Where I was at yesterday, I was amazed at all the different types.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic,
How do you prepare your chants? And you are right, the woods are full of mushrooms. Where I was at yesterday, I was amazed at all the different types.

I try not to wash them, jut brush the dirt off. A little dab of olive oil or bacon grease, a pat of butter and bring it up to a low heat. Add your mushrooms along with a smashed clove of garlic and fry em till the edges curl just a little bit, then take em out and eat em with a good ribeye.

Also, after you fry em, you can add them to an omelet or scrambled eggs.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I was able to locate and cut a couple handfuls of black trumpets yesterday. Chants are about like squash and okra now, gotta check and cut every day with these scattered showers here lately.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was able to locate and cut a couple handfuls of black trumpets yesterday. Chants are about like squash and okra now, gotta check and cut every day with these scattered showers here lately.
Still none (0) here. :(

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Still none (0) here. :(
(n) I figured you would start seeing them by now, especially since I found the trumpets. They've been two weeks behind the chants in the past and you seem to be collecting two weeks after me as I start getting in em good two weeks after Nic. I'm sure you'll be cuttin em this weekend.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Plain bellied water snake?

sportsman94

Very good! I found an indigo milk cap the other day, but wasnt sure enough to take it home with me. Im relatively new to mushrooms and have only ventured into chanterelles, cinnabars, and lions mane. How do the indigos taste?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very good! I found an indigo milk cap the other day, but wasnt sure enough to take it home with me. Im relatively new to mushrooms and have only ventured into chanterelles, cinnabars, and lions mane. How do the indigos taste?
They're pretty good, but you have to cook them a good long time until they're about crispy. They are also foolproof to id, no other mushroom has bright blue sap.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Something I sure wish I knew more about .

crackerdave

Cindy Lou has gotten to be a good mushroom forager.
We've got more chants than we know what to do with.Gonna try drying some.

JDwall

Walked through my woods in Crawford Co. a and got a bunch of these gems.0713211708.jpg
Stumbled on this one, no idea what it is. Any suggestions?0713211609_HDR.jpg