Mushroom ID please...

cowhornedspike

Just remember that there are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters but there are not a lot of old bold mushroom hunters...
Do your research if you plan on eating mushrooms.
One thing my research showed is that there are enough look alike and bad bolettes that I leave them all alone. I stick to the easy to ID ones with no bad look alikes such as chants, oysters, chicken of the woods, lions mane, and morels.

Mexican Squealer

The smaller ones did bruise blue...I’m brand new to this so I didn’t keep these. These are growing on the backside of a dike that is in the exact type habitat described. I saw atleast 100 and didn’t cover too much ground.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Just remember that there are old mushroom hunters and there are bold mushroom hunters but there are not a lot of old bold mushroom hunters...
Do your research if you plan on eating mushrooms.
One thing my research showed is that there are enough look alike and bad bolettes that I leave them all alone. I stick to the easy to ID ones with no bad look alikes such as chants, oysters, chicken of the woods, lions mane, and morels.

Agreed. I know that I pass on some mighty fine eating with some of the Bolettes, but I don`t trust my judgement on some of those IDs, and I have too much respect for my liver. I stick with Chants and Chickens. Morels don`t grow here.