Mushroom ID

kayaksteve

Looks like a jack-o-lantern to me but I’m by no means an expert, barely a novice. These are non edible and one of the chanterelle look alikes i believe

chrislibby88

Either a jackolantern or false chanterelle. I believe the jacks grow on wood. Jacks are pretty toxic, and will cause severe gastro irritation. Chantarelles grow on the ground.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Can’t tell exactly what it is from the pics. Not a jack o lantern though. Probably some species of Lentinus.

kayaksteve

Can’t tell exactly what it is from the pics. Not a jack o lantern though. Probably some species of Lentinus.
I just this year took an interest in mushrooms and I’m trying to take in as much info as possible… what in the pictures helps you determine this isn’t a jackolantern?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Jack O Lanterns are orange. Grow in clusters. Glow in the dark too sometimes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I just this year took an interest in mushrooms and I’m trying to take in as much info as possible… what in the pictures helps you determine this isn’t a jackolantern?
Just the overall look. Like Parabellum said, jack-o-lanters are orange, and usually grow in dense clusters from buried rotten wood or roots, rarely high on a tree like that. Plus, the serrations around the edge of the cap, and the look of the gills. Same way you would tell a blueberry from a blackberry.