Mushroom Time

turkeykirk

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mike, I`m not near good enough to ID one from a picture. For some reason I have to actually look at it myself. I just don`t trust myself when it comes to mushrooms.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
both look like varieties of amanita second one might be amanita muscaria but also might not
Top one is an Amanita, bottom is a Russula.

bilgerat

Senior
I don’t eat wild mushrooms because I know nothing about them , I want to learn tho, is there a app or recourse y’all would recommend ?

JakkBauer

I don’t eat wild mushrooms because I know nothing about them , I want to learn tho, is there a app or recourse y’all would recommend ?
i wouldnt trust an APP EVER. if you learn to ID them by the things i mentioned above (stipe, gills, cap, habitat) and then make sure they are known to grow in the region you are looking in it can help you narrow it down. you really want to check every mushroom thoroughly before ever ingesting it. the APP could help you narrow things down but I would just learn to ID them proper on your own from the start!

edit: cant believe i forgot to mention you should also take spore prints where you leave a cap on tin foil or white paper overnight to see the color of the spores that drop out etc

turkeykirk

these could possibly be chants and while you can see stipe and gils another thing to help with ID is habitat pictures! what were they growing from?

Growing under a white oak tree along the edge of my yard.

35 Whelen

Get a mushroom field guide and a magnifying glass, then find someone that knows edible mushrooms in your area and see if they will take you out to show you what to look for.

JakkBauer

Growing under a white oak tree along the edge of my yard.
yep, chantrelles love hardwood so that would probably be one :)

they are honestly one of the more easily identifiable mushrooms we have in GA but like nicko I am hesitant to ID something someone else is going to eat!