Mushroom Time

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
No.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Thanks! I have looked at mushrooms just like these for a couple of years now thinking they were chanterelles. I have been too scared to try them. Looks like I'm going to get to taste some now!
Thanks! I have looked at mushrooms just like these for a couple of years now thinking they were chanterelles. I have been too scared to try them. Looks like I'm going to get to taste some now!

Leave the “roots” in the ground next time. Cut em with a knife instead of pulling them out of the ground. Cleaner and maybe they’ll be back next year.

Mark R

Got a bunch of Chants around for now . How about preservation ? Should i get a dehydrator ? Can they be frozen ?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Got a bunch of Chants around for now . How about preservation ? Should i get a dehydrator ? Can they be frozen ?

No on freezing and dehydrating. Sautee them in butter and olive oil until almost done and them cool and vacuum seal them in the butter and olive oil is only way I know. @Sautee Ridgerunner was gonna try to pickle some this year. Be interested to hear how that turns out. Vacuum sealing, they'll keep about a year.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've tried pickling with the recommended white wine vinegar and it was not only expensive due to the cost of the vinegar, the taste, meh....YMMV. I think cider vinegar would be worse. But, YMMV. I've been vacuum bagging cooked chants for years and that works fine for me. A buddy has frozen the sauteed chants in muffin tins and stored the frozen results by double sandwich bagging the "muffins." Freezing raw reduces them to mush when thawed. A post recommended freezing raw in water. I see no need for me to try it. The sheer volume of what one would end up with would seem to be far greater than the reduction in volume by cooking and vacuum bagging. They shrink considerably when cooked. I have a friend in Wyoming that lives in a low humidity climate. He dehydrates his mushrooms by putting them in a derelict car in direct sunlight with windows rolled up and stores the results in jars. Gil