Musings of an Aging Flyfisherman

gunnurse

I am lying in bed in a cabin by the Little Pigeon River. I looked up and saw the tiny mayflies swarming the light. They look like about a size 14 or 16 of what I will call a pale evening dun. Tiny yellow things with their tails glistening in the harsh light. I think to their beginnings years ago as eggs laid by their ancestors. They have survived to maturity, and against all odds have hatched. Hatched as eggs, to nymphs to maturity. Hatched to the evening of magic where they live, mate, and die- only to repeat the whole circle. I am sad that their apex will be spent in this cabin. What a waste.

I think of NCH tying their twins. I think of the Smoky Mountain trout enjoying the bounty of their sacrifice to continue their lineage. I think of the times when I fished my offerings to the trout before my back injury that ended my chase.

Guys- don’t take one day for granted. Don’t waste one day that avails itself to enjoy the chase. If you have done all that you can to enjoy the day, then rest well. If you haven’t, PLEASE do all you can to make tomorrow count. Don’t be the mayfly swarming the light with no past to remember.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am lying in bed in a cabin by the Little Pigeon River. I looked up and saw the tiny mayflies swarming the light. They look like about a size 14 or 16 of what I will call a pale evening dun. Tiny yellow things with their tails glistening in the harsh light. I think to their beginnings years ago as eggs laid by their ancestors. They have survived to maturity, and against all odds have hatched. Hatched as eggs, to nymphs to maturity. Hatched to the evening of magic where they live, mate, and die- only to repeat the whole circle. I am sad that their apex will be spent in this cabin. What a waste.

I think of NCH tying their twins. I think of the Smoky Mountain trout enjoying the bounty of their sacrifice to continue their lineage. I think of the times when I fished my offerings to the trout before my back injury that ended my chase.

Guys- don’t take one day for granted. Don’t waste one day that avails itself to enjoy the chase. If you have done all that you can to enjoy the day, then rest well. If you haven’t, PLEASE do all you can to make tomorrow count. Don’t be the mayfly swarming the light with no past to remember.
Entering my mid-50s after a life of hard physical work and spending many of those years indulging in self-destructive behavior, I am beginning to have to deal with the fact that I just can't do what I used to now. I'm still able to get out and get at it, so I do, just not quite like I used to. I bought a bunch of new backpacking equipment this spring. Time to head back into some special places again while I'm still able to.

BTW, some of those "quiet walkways" beside the West Fork of the Little Pigeon can have you on some fat rainbows with very little physical effort. I feel for you, man.

PS-God, that was some good writing. I have had very much the exact same thoughts before, only involving a Coleman lantern and little yellow stoneflies.

Last edited:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Don't put off that trip you've always wanted to do "someday." John Fogerty said someday never comes.

You got a stream you've always wanted to fish? Go ahead and plan it out. You can find a way to get it done. You won't be sitting in a nursing home one day thinking back with regret on that fishing trip you took.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don't put off that trip you've always wanted to do "someday." John Fogerty said someday never comes.

You got a stream you've always wanted to fish? Go ahead and plan it out. You can find a way to get it done. You won't be sitting in a nursing home one day thinking back with regret on that fishing trip you took.
I can think of one we've been talking about for two years now. :) We need to make it happen.

gunnurse

I have a region that I have always wanted to fish- in Colorado. As fate would have it, my daughter now lives in Colorado Springs. My daughter whom I get to visit (and can provide free room and board for day trips.) :bounce: