Must Read on Dog Hunt !!

CPiper

Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine
June 2005 Issue
Pages 29-32

Did you see my thread on “have you ever cried in the deer woods”? Well, I almost cried sittin on my bed the other night after reading this article.
I was in WalMart with the kids and by happen chance I stopped by the magazine rack. I seldom do that, knowing I will have to read D&DH and NA Whitetail cover to cover and VERY seldom buy a magazine from a newsrack – I picked up this D&DH issue and thumbed through it and low and behold, an article on an old southern doggin camp.
I threw the mag in my buggy and at 11PM, after tuckin the kids in bed and doing my chores, I sat and read the article.
All sorts of memories and emotions found their way to the forefront of my heart and mind.
All of a sudden I was a 10 year old lad in Clarke Co Alabama reliving so many fond memories of a traditional southern dog camp. It made me long for them yester days and years, when life and deer hunting was simpler, gentler, more fun and respectful.

If you have never been on a dog drive, or been on a bad one, or had a sour poor run in with some doggers, get this magazine and read up!!

The 1st picture shows a bunch of white haired old gentlemen, some middle aged gents and a score of young boys, all bunched up together for a group picture; deer legs showing in the background.

John D McQueen was president of the featured dog camp in 1943, and he went on his first dog drive as a 10 year old boy in 1893 – yes, 1893 - over 100 years ago.
He tells of how the land was covered in virgin forests and you could run dogs 10 miles in any direction. How the hunters on adjacent lands loved being called and forewarned of the pending dog run and would stand their lines and cash in on the improved deer movement.
Southern MEN had a pride and respect back then that is all but lost and swallowed up in today’s fast paced self centered culture; and these men held dog hunting and the land in high regards.

The article speaks of the dog camp as a place for high socializing and being a place to build and maintain deep long lasting friendships.
Its tells of a specific time when a Dr at the club happened to kill a nice buck only because he was out of place. McQueen’s dad helped the Dr with his deer and 2 weeks later, both McQueen’s dad and the Dr were dead - these men lived, hunted and died with each other.

It tells of the passing of rite, passing the heritage and tradition of dog hunting and being a part of this camp onto a son; a daughter if there was not a son present.

It tells of how doe deer were once sacred and held in high esteem and how over the years the club grew to understand and appreciate deer management; In place now is doe harvest and “earn a buck”. You must shoot 3 doe deer before you can shoot a buck, and the buck has to be 6pnts or better, 3 does before you can take advantage of the clubs 3 buck limit (nanny nanny boo boo to you naysayers who say doggers cannot manage what they shoot – Iv been telling we not only can, we have, for GENERATIONS/Decades!!!!)
The members once held meetings with Alabama’s legislators to lobby against doe killing – hows that for doggers being and getting involved?!

It tells of the kangaroo courts that were held for missed shots. Of cutting shirt tails and the “beatings” that would be passed out. Made me stop and remember – last place I saw shirt tail cutting was when I was in my late teens in Alabama, and we had a wall full of shirt tails. Don’t see of hear of that much anymore do we?

Again, you MUST read this article!!

In closing, McQueen says that this club would remain a place where “real sportsman may gather and enjoy good hunting and good fellowship … and that the way to do this is to continue to conserve our game and timber, and at all times remember that killing game is by no means the only thing which makes hunting worth while”

I do wish things could be different, like they were 50+ years ago. Too many changes, too much selfishness, too much unwillingness to bend and change/adapt.
I am sure South Carolina has such a club(s) that is stepped in such a deep legacy; It will a sad dark day if things changed to take away to stop the continuance of such a legacy!

Tom Borck

Banned
I read it! Great read! Our last year for dog hunting was 2004! Glad I had the chance to experience dog hunting when it lasted!

Unfortunately, there are lots of people in Georgia and on Woodys who are happier than a pig in elmo to see it go.

Last edited:

Beehaw

Piper,
Sounds like a good read. However, most of what I hear in your comments could apply to any well run camp. Please realize my comments are not aimed at dog hunting (I have never had the opportunity, but I think it has always sounded like fun) but at what most clubs have evolved into. I just joined a new club that I selected mainly because of the members. It is a father/son environment with NO cussing or drinking on the property. I am not saying those things are wrong, I just wanted an environment where I didn't have to worry about what my two sons might see. The club has great hunting, but the goal is always to teach the younger ones how to hunt safely and with responsibility. This atricle could be a good reminder for each of us that we are shaping the next group of hunters; how we are shaping them will be seen in twenty years.

Rabbit Runner

we dog hunt over near jesup Ga, it's an old club started
back in 1948 i think. my boys love to sit around the fire after a hunt and listen to the old timers tell stories about the old days. :bounce:

Dog Hunter

Thanks for sharing. You talking about Deer and Deer Hunter???? It has been years since I have seen a shirt tail cut also. We would go to a place twice a year for a big hunt and the owner would cut shirts tails for a miss. Didn't matter what kind of shirt it was, and the more someone resisted the big the cut became. How about the blooding for the first deer. Anybody else do this???

broadhead

Dog Hunter said:
Thanks for sharing. You talking about Deer and Deer Hunter???? It has been years since I have seen a shirt tail cut also. We would go to a place twice a year for a big hunt and the owner would cut shirts tails for a miss. Didn't matter what kind of shirt it was, and the more someone resisted the big the cut became. How about the blooding for the first deer. Anybody else do this???
Blooding....
Oh yeah. The young'ns get a pretty good blooding on their first deer.
The gentleman that I hunt with ceremoniously bloodied his grown daughter's face when she killed her first deer. He went easy on her with a couple of warpaint stripes across her cheeks and forehead. She is in her 30's-40's so he spared her the big blooding most kids get.
I got the pleasure of cleaning the deer she killed for her. She was as excited as a ten year old killing his/her first deer.
Back to the topic. I am sad to see dog hunting go away too. I enjoyed the times that I went very much.