Muzzel Loader Recomendations???

cheeber

Banned
I am looking for an inexpensive muzzel loader for use on WMAs. I know very little about them, just looking for something to hog hunt with a few times a year outside of dear season. What would yall recomend? Where do you recomend I get it? How much of a difference is there in performance between the bottom end and the high end on these guns? I'm interested in new or used. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Marlin_444

Black Powder aka Muzzle Stuffer recommendations...

I am looking for an inexpensive muzzel loader for use on WMAs. I know very little about them, just looking for something to hog hunt with a few times a year outside of dear season. What would yall recomend? Where do you recomend I get it? How much of a difference is there in performance between the bottom end and the high end on these guns? I'm interested in new or used. Any info is greatly appreciated.

I have used CVA Bobcat ($100.00 Ball & Cap #11), which fires off a nipple and did not like wet conditions. Sold it a couple seasons in.

Two of the three "in-lines" are - CVA Optima Pro in .50 Caliber and a Thompson Center .45. Both with 150 grains of tripple 7 pellets (3 - 50 grain pellets) behind a lighter grain Power Belt Bullet (270 Grain for the .50 and 230 for the .45).

Both shot very accurately and I took deer with them both.

I currently have a Winchester X150 for no scope conditions and a Traditions Pursuit XLT scoped. Both in .50 Caliber and will be shooting the new "Platinum" Powerbelts this season.

I am sure there are other Muzzle Stuffer enthusiasts that will let you know their opinions. They kick a little, some say a 150 Grain Magnum Charge is to much UMP... Could back down to 100 but I like to Anchor (read: drop it right there "DIRT") - You know what I mean!!!

I shoot a Marlin 444 and Ruger Hawkeye 300 Win Mag so the puney kick from a 150 Grain Muzzle Stuffer don't bother me. You can put a Sims Recoil Pad on it to "Soften the kick"...

I also have a Pietta 1851 Confederate Navy 44 Cal. Ball & Cap revolver I carry as a side arm during Muzzle Stuffer season.

You can get into a good CVA Optima Pro for less than $300.00, a Thompson Center can run you $7-800; you might consider shopping the "Swap & Sell" forum here on Woody's!

Take care, be safe and we'll see yah in the woods soon!

Marlin 444 :crazy:

Pics of my

Attachments

• Traditions1.jpg
    Traditions1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 297
  • X_150_5.jpg
    X_150_5.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 294

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
I had the same ideas that you mentioned, "hog hunting on WMA's" and I didn't want a really expensive rifle, so I bought a CVA Kodiak Magnum .50 caliber rifle at Walmart for $159.00. It will do anything you need it to do, and is a fine rifle.I would recommend it to you for what you want it for.

shadow2

Wincheste Apex. you can find them for around 200

sureshot375

I just got a cva optima from a guy who had it for a year and never shot it. 125 bucks. 209 primer and easy to clean break action.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good recommendations from all the above.

Be forewarned though. Charcoal burners are very contagious. I don`t know of any cure for them. :p

goob

ive got a Traditions in-line, 50cal, 90gr powder, was around $100 at BP a few years ago, I have killed three or four deer with it with no problem.

bevills1

I got a stainless TC Black Diamond that's very accurate, but I'd recommend either closed breach like the TC Omega or break open like the TC Encore or CVA Optima due to easier cleaning. I've found 100 grains in my 50 caliber more than adequate for deer hunting in Georgia. The 150 grain charge is only needed for game larger than deer or distances beyond 100 yards IMO. Check http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ for excellent prices on new ones.

Dub

Been hearing a ton of good stuff about this one. Built like a tank...accutrigger.....able to use smokeless powder....reasonably priced, etc.

Attachments

• 10mlclass%20(506%20x%20431).jpg
    10mlclass%20(506%20x%20431).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 186

Parker Phoenix

Go ahead and spend the money on a good one. I prefer the T/C Omega. The reason being is that I think you will enjoy it so much it will become your primary hunting weapon.