Muzzle brake

Bjrink

No, I’m taking it to a local gunsmith to thread. Just wanted to know if there was a preferred brake for a tikka 300

Jester896

Senior Clown
is the muzzle large enough to thread? most .30 cal brakes are going to require 5/8 threads.

bighonkinjeep

In my opinion a .300 win mag needs a brake.
Personal preference I would go with a brake that can be turned on or off.
There are several on the market that operate very similar to the Savage factory brake that came installed on some of their rifles with the "AK" designation in the model number. I love this this feature and find it quite handy and be it on or off it doesn't seem to change point of impact at all. It does however do wonders to mitigate the recoil and adjust direction of muzzle blast and noise level. The ones I'm familiar with are sleeved with a detent ball allowing the ports to be opened or closed with a simple twist of the sleeve. They do have to be kept lubricated before storage.
It looks like "Brockman" and "CP convertible" are a couple that pop up with a quick google search.
Good luck.
P.S. 5/8"x24TPI is pretty much adopted as a widely available standard thread. There are plenty of other muzzle brakes and thread patterns available so having your barrel threaded to match a quality brake shouldn't be a problem.

Jester896

Senior Clown
isn't .6178 the minimum diameter for 5/8X24 threads? don't you want at the very least .150 of wall thickness remaining after the threading for safety?

Jester896

Senior Clown
I see a lot of guys using the Area 419 Sidewinder these days, as well but I don't have any experience behind it. I just know its spoken highly of

most of their stuff is good kit. I put one of their ARCA rails on the bottom of my Manners stock to get a spigot mount. Reloading funnels are..NICE!...haven't got anything I want to brake so haven't tried them.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I’m not familiar with that Tikkas barrel diameter but my favorite .30 cal brake is my Precision Armament M4 72 Severe Duty.

Robust Redhorse

I would not put a muzzle brake on anything short of a .460 Weatherby, and I don't know for sure I would put one on one of them.

I'd rather absorb the recoil than deal with the concussion and ridiculous volume of noise caused by a muzzle brake.

I would absolutely have one on a 50 BMG however!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I would not put a muzzle brake on anything short of a .460 Weatherby, and I don't know for sure I would put one on one of them.

I'd rather absorb the recoil than deal with the concussion and ridiculous volume of noise caused by a muzzle brake.

I would absolutely have one on a 50 BMG however!

I've gotta agree with this, my Tikka 300 WM is so loud and can't even imagine what adding a brake would do. If I were to do anything to it I would put a suppressor on it.

menhadenman

This depends on the brake. Some brakes are no louder at the shooter than the same rifle with no brake.

Not suggesting that hearing loss ain't a problem, but I agree with Ray. I blasted two antelope last fall with my Hawkeye in 6.5CM that has a brake (the FTW comes that way)... can't say I noticed any difference over the 50+ animals I've blasted with rifles without hearing protection. Many of those were smaller cartridges (25-06/35 Rem) so I imagine something with 60+ grains of powder is probably a different animal. I do know that out of anything I've shot, an AR pistol is terrible... put one of those flaming pigs on there and it's better, but still obnoxious.

Good luck on the brake - there are some good online videos with guys testing the recoil reduction. I'd check it out before pulling the trigger. Also agree with the other guy that putting a can on there could be a better option. Liberty here in GA makes a fine entry-level can (Mystic X) that'll work on quite a few calibers.

https://libertycans.net/mystic-x/

Last edited:

nmurph

I've spent a couple of hours looking for a any evidence or anecdotal reports that a "quiet" muzzle brake exist. The only thing that even come close is "The Gentry Quiet Muzzle Brake reduces recoil up to 85% while directing noise and gas away from the shooter" claim from their site. They makes no claim to be as quiet as a non-braked gun. Every other discussion I read was that MB were louder and that hearing protection was mandatory and doubling up was a good practice. I'm open to being shown otherwise.

menhadenman

I've spent a couple of hours looking for a any evidence or anecdotal reports that a "quiet" muzzle brake exist. The only thing that even come close is "The Gentry Quiet Muzzle Brake reduces recoil up to 85% while directing noise and gas away from the shooter" claim from their site. They makes no claim to be as quiet as a non-braked gun. Every other discussion I read was that MB were louder and that hearing protection was mandatory and doubling up was a good practice. I'm open to being shown otherwise.

Don't disagree at all... just saying that my Hawkeye isn't noticeably obnoxious over my other rifles. Now that 10.5" bbl 223 is insane on the blast. Maybe my eardrums are already eroded to the point that I can't pick it up, but my personal experience is that having the brake doesn't register as much as the forums tell me it should.