Muzzle brake

Darkhorse

These comments are based on my personal experience with a muzzle break.
In 1976 I bought a Browning stainless stalker Lefthand in .300 win. mag./with the BOSS as my next elk rifle. I bought it because as a tinkerer I was fascinated by the prospect of adjusting the device to improve the rifles accuracy. At the time no thought whatsoever was given to recoil reduction or loudness.
I'm pretty good at wringing the most out of my guns and loading precise ammunition and the Browning did not disappoint although I was into my second season before I decided on the final adjustments for my chosen bullet.
I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of recoil reduction. I already owned a brakeless 7mm mag. and had shot some hard kickers including .300 magnums and that was the recoil level I expected. But suddenly I was shooting a .300 mag. that was producing relatively no recoil. And that allowed me to shoot this rifle with a high degree of accuracy. This was most likely the most valuable thing about the BOSS for a hunter.
As for the noise, it was definitely louder than a brakeless rifle, but for me it was nothing I couldn't deal with and I never used hearing protection while hunting, wise or not. As long as the shot was taken in open woods or on a field or powerline I never even thought about the loudness. But this would change...
I was hunting in Crawford county and in a deep, dark bottom I had found a crossing with some really big deer tracks laid down going in both directions. Around 8 AM one morning I saw a nice buck coming down the trail and decided to take him. When I shot all this blast was focused by the steep hills on both sides and directed back to me. Causing my ears to immediatly begin ringing along with a sharp, short pain in both ears.
This was a major and unexpected difference than usual. When shot in open woods most of the blast dissipates without causing pain or heavy ringing. The exact opposite happens in tight quarters.
This rifle was my full time hunting rifle for over 10 years so I have a lot of experience with it and the brake. To compensate any time I hunted it in tight quarters I used a set of ear plugs attached to a spring that goes around the neck. If I see a shot developing it's a quick movement to slide both plugs into the ears. Works out real well.
So yeah a muzzle break is louder. But we can't always get everything we want and for me the extra noise is worth it.

Dub

Need your guys opinion on a new muzzle brake for a tikka t3 300 win mag.

It's 2021.

I mention that because there have been tremendous recent advancements in hearing protection. Old dogs like me can learn new tricks.

A pile of companies making hearing protection that amplifies low-pressure sound like leaves stirring, animal noises, conversation, etc......while snuffing off high-pressure rifle blasts and such.

The tech is now available in plugs as well as muffs. (y)

Now...equipped with such hearing protection in the stand....a muzzlebrake is no longer the menace it once was.

Those Tikka T3 models are accurate shooting guns.....but tend to run on the lightweight side of things....in the mighty .300 WinMag....my shoulder and shooting form would appreciate a brake.

Heck, I've got a factory installed brake on a medium-heavy .30'06.

I used to be one of the guys who was dyed in the wool ANTI-brake.....despised them on hunting rifles.....but the modern ear protection is a game changer....can easily be worn during the hunt.....so....bring on the brake and it's blessed recoil reduction.

That's my current opinion on the matter. I wish I had a specific model to suggest...but I'm not savvy on the matter. These other guys will put you on some good gear.

Bjrink

Thanks Dub, I’m gonna get the gun sighted in without the brake to see how my shoulder holds up. I’m not big on target shooting with my hunting rifles and only purchased the 300 for elk, bear and moose. I’m still young and dumb enough to give it a go. Again, thanks for the feedback and more than likely I’ll have a brake on it very soon!

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
get on it and stay behind it...watch the bullet hit the target...you'll stand a better chance of absorbing the recoil with your whole body.

TL60

Glad your taking your hearing seriously... and thumbs up to the newer headgear as well, amazing actually.

From the guy with profound hearing loss for the last 20yrs from guns, racecars, rock & roll, and aircraft .... when I forget my hearing aids .. cant even hear a fire alarm.

I say "huh?" so much that folks think I'm doing a Biden speech...

rugerfan

I particular don't care for the muzzle brakes. The ones do I have on a couple of rifles are very very loud. No doubt that it reduces felt recoil, but I shot a few times with out hearing protection, and it is left a ringing in my ears.

When I am target shooting I wear ear muffs. When I a hunting, I like to hear things, and do not feel that I have the time to fumble with ear protection before taking the shot on game.

As far as recoil, I know everyone is different. Some of things that help you absorb recoil is a properly fitting stock, and a good recoil pad.

If recoil is an issue I would advise that you use a lesser caliber, or use reduced loads.

Bobby Bigtime

I particular don't care for the muzzle brakes. The ones do I have on a couple of rifles are very very loud. No doubt that it reduces felt recoil, but I shot a few times with out hearing protection, and it is left a ringing in my ears.

When I am target shooting I wear ear muffs. When I a hunting, I like to hear things, and do not feel that I have the time to fumble with ear protection before taking the shot on game.

As far as recoil, I know everyone is different. Some of things that help you absorb recoil is a properly fitting stock, and a good recoil pad.

If recoil is an issue I would advise that you use a lesser caliber, or use reduced loads.
I know everybody is different when it comes to how they respond to recoil. I agree with rugerfan and his take on this. Health conditions aside I think a lot of the problem folks have with kick is mostly perceived and therefore anticipated. I have some rifles that are a bit robust but once you understand that they will thump you but not actually hurt you you begin to focus on the shot instead. That is why we don't feel recoil when hunting. The brakes do make a difference but at what cost?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Brakes are for shooting. Not hunting. When you shoot, you use hearing protection so who cares hownlo
I know everybody is different when it comes to how they respond to recoil. I agree with rugerfan and his take on this. Health conditions aside I think a lot of the problem folks have with kick is mostly perceived and therefore anticipated. I have some rifles that are a bit robust but once you understand that they will thump you but not actually hurt you you begin to focus on the shot instead. That is why we don't feel recoil when hunting. The brakes do make a difference but at what cost?

Another agree. Brakes ain’t for hunting. You don’t feel recoil when hunting because of the adrenaline! Also, it’s usually only one shot. Brakes are for shooting. Multiple times. WITH hearing protection.

Blackston

Brakes are for shooting. Not hunting. When you shoot, you use hearing protection so who cares hownlo

Another agree. Brakes ain’t for hunting. You don’t feel recoil when hunting because of the adrenaline! Also, it’s usually only one shot. Brakes are for shooting. Multiple times. WITH hearing protection.
What about barrel rise ? My 700 in 7 mag jumps pretty good if don’t hold it down ... I’ve been thinking about a brake to eliminate some of that “ rise “

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
What about barrel rise ? My 700 in 7 mag jumps pretty good if don’t hold it down ... I’ve been thinking about a brake to eliminate some of that “ rise “

Mine is on a .308 but I have shot it on one of my .300 Winnys and it does a great job reducing barrel rise. Check them out online. I love mine.

Blackston

Mine is on a .308 but I have shot it on one of my .300 Winnys and it does a great job reducing barrel rise. Check them out online. I love mine.
I guess I should have clarified.... my rifle is a strictly huntin gun .... I wonder if it’s worth it ?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Don’t own one, but learning I need to invest in good technology PPE to counter the effects of one on my hearing leaves it a solid no thanks for me. Why buy one device just to have to buy another device to safeguard you from it and pray your technology works. :rolleyes:

rosewood

You might actually want to try one of the linear "forward" muzzle brakes. It directs the blast forward, actually reduces noise to the shooter. Works great on my 300BLK pistol. I can't say for sure how much it helps rise, but for sure helps noise.

Rosewood

Robust Redhorse

I was at the range earlier this week with someone shooting a 5.56 AR at the far end of the range pavilion.

It was ridiculous!

I had to wear plugs AND muffs to stand to be in the pavilion with him.

I was shooting a 416 Magnum with a plain 'ole barrel, and it seemed like it had a silencer compared to that AR.

I don't have a clue why someone wants a muzzle brake on a rifle that doesn't even kick in the first place!

Last edited:

Darkhorse

I've shot around 3,000 rounds through my 300 Win mag and only in one circumstance did I find the blast uncomfortable. And my gun is a hunting gun.
I found the reduction in recoil to be directly attributed to the field accuracy I achieved with this rifle. I didn't think it would but I was wrong. And I'm no stranger to recoil as I also have a non braked 7mm mag. I've shot extensively and to good effect. My back up turkey gun is a 12 gauge with a 3 1/2 chamber that will really stomp you.
Whatever helps me to concentrate and make the shot, long range or short. Is what I go with.
But I agree on one thing, Why put a brake on a rifle with little to no recoil? I just don't see the benefit.