Muzzle brake

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion a .300 win mag needs a brake.
Personal preference I would go with a brake that can be turned on or off.
There are several on the market that operate very similar to the Savage factory brake that came installed on some of their rifles with the "AK" designation in the model number. I love this this feature and find it quite handy and be it on or off it doesn't seem to change point of impact at all. It does however do wonders to mitigate the recoil and adjust direction of muzzle blast and noise level. The ones I'm familiar with are sleeved with a detent ball allowing the ports to be opened or closed with a simple twist of the sleeve. They do have to be kept lubricated before storage.
It looks like "Brockman" and "CP convertible" are a couple that pop up with a quick google search.
Good luck.
P.S. 5/8"x24TPI is pretty much adopted as a widely available standard thread. There are plenty of other muzzle brakes and thread patterns available so having your barrel threaded to match a quality brake shouldn't be a problem.
Been shooting my .300WM for a long, long time without a brake. Never felt the need for one. I'll take a little recoil over that horrific noise any day. My son started shooting mine when he was 12-13 years old, and never had issues. He killed deer and several hogs with it.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Been shooting my .300WM for a long, long time without a brake. Never felt the need for one. I'll take a little recoil over that horrific noise any day. My son started shooting mine when he was 12-13 years old, and never had issues. He killed deer and several hogs with it.

This is what I hunt with too. Since I was a kid. The recoil doesn’t bother me a bit. The recoil on my .458 SOCOM doesn’t bother me. I’d rather shoot either multiple times before I’d rather shoot my shotgun with slugs.

Dub

Thanks Dub, I’m gonna get the gun sighted in without the brake to see how my shoulder holds up. I’m not big on target shooting with my hunting rifles and only purchased the 300 for elk, bear and moose. I’m still young and dumb enough to give it a go. Again, thanks for the feedback and more than likely I’ll have a brake on it very soon!

Hope the project is going well for you.

I'm going to get one of these in black nitride finish for a target gun:

https://www.area419.com/product/the-hellfire-match-self-timing-muzzle-brake/

Gonna give 'em a week or so to catch up on orders and then give 'em a call.

Big7

The Oracle
Just an opinion and a question.

To me a 300WM is a little mild for a brake.

Are you just hunting with it? Or do you plan on shooting a lot. LIMB SAVER is your friend.

One time without muffs will do permanently damage your hearing. (as stated above)

Bjrink

Bjrink

Just an opinion and a question.

To me a 300WM is a little mild for a brake.

Are you just hunting with it? Or do you plan on shooting a lot. LIMB SAVER is your friend.

One time without muffs will do permanently damage your hearing. (as stated above)
Just got the limb saver pad yesterday and not going to pull the trigger on the muzzle brake just yet. I’ve always shot a 7mag and 30.06. Just always wanted the 30 cal magnum. But that muzzle brake looks interesting

Bjrink

Just got the limb saver pad yesterday and not going to pull the trigger on the muzzle brake just yet. I’ve always shot a 7mag and 30.06. Just always wanted the 30 cal magnum. But that muzzle brake looks interesting
Just hunting elk

rosewood

Refer back to post #24.

Hearing protection is a must.

So many hearing options....I"m going to use their muffs for hunting.

Nice!! She could sell me anything..

Reactions: Dub

Dub

@Dub I think you are gonna like that brake. On the Bergera, yeah?

Yup. That's the one, sir.

I cam real close to grabbing a Bergara brake when I bought the gun.....but wanted to hold off a while. Hopefully the Area 419 folks will get caught up soon. I'm not in a rush...got a pile of other projects underway....but I'm not sure the lead time once they take the order.

Yep. Click on her other videos.....she does one where she's playing piano...Star Wars theme. Demonstrates much talent. ;)

Jack Flynn

That's a 6 pound gun. The muzzle break isn't gonna do much except perforate your eardrums. I've shot that caliber for decades and I wouldn't want anything under 10 pounds, preferably 12-14 pounds.