Muzzleloader Kills, 2019

Thread starter #1

pse hunter

Lets see your kills for 2019

Deer, Bear, Hog, Small Game, Varmints, Turkey or any other game taken with a smoke pole of any type.

have a great year be safe and lets smoke the woods up

Okie Hog

Range: 40 yards
Attitude: Facing
Rifle: TC New Englander .50 caliber
Bullet: Patched round ball
Patch: Drill cloth
Powder: 80 grains of Black MZ
Cap: CCI #11

Got into the blind at about 16:30. Napped a little. Looked up at 17:30; there was a sow and nine 15 pound pigs under the feeder. Was waiting for the sow to present a broadside shot when the boar came in. Boar tried to hassle the pigs from the corn. He turned facing me with his head up. At the shot the boar bang flopped and did not kick.

Ball hit the hog in the snout and exited behind the right ear.

Hog weighed 200-225 pounds.

https://i.imgur.com/471TxUT.jpg

Took advantage of an approaching cold front and headed out in the rain. Weather cleared, spotted what I thought was a doe at 100 yards. Waited for a better shot, came broadside at 75 yards. Took the shot, through the smoke watched it head southwest. Thought I missed and was about to go home when I went to the spot where it was standing when I shot. Found a small amount of hair, and had to look again. Found it 80 yards away in a depression. Walked by it 3 times without seeing it.
Problem was, there was no blood trail. I might have missed any small drops as I'm color blind and leaves were wet. Thank god I found the hair and looked again. Turned out to be a shed buck...

Attachments

First ever muzzleloader kill. Came in pushing does about an hour and a half before dark. Stopped to feed on white oak acorns at about 75 yards and gave me a beautiful broadside shot. 95 grain blackhorn charge put the 300 gr sst right where it needed to go with a double lung pass through. He didnt take a step. I couldn't be more happy right now!!! Screenshot_20191014-193939_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191014-202842_Gallery.jpg

shdw633

No pics but did get me a doe this weekend using my Omega 45 inline. BH209 and Hornady SST's busted up both shoulders at 70 yards. It's an awesome combination in that ML.

ryanh487

Killed this one about 8:30 this morning in Polk. Came in to the rattling horns looking for a fight. FAT sucker for a 2.5 year old deer, when I field dressed him I was pulling fistfuls of fat out from around his organs, and he had a good 3/4" layer on his stomach. First ML buck and only second ML deer. **I wore my orange for the hunt but took it off at camp for the picture**
Screenshot_20191017-152702_Message+.jpg Screenshot_20191017-152150_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191017-152222_Gallery.jpg

WNewman

Had an incredible weekend!

Sat morning at 7:15 am, this buck comes out of one of the drags. Put the muzzleloader up and the sights are fogged! Wipe them off and at this point he's 80 yds or so away. Took a few minutes to confirm he was legal (we are a QDM county, must have 4 points on one side) but then let fly. Found him about 100 yds away.
First Buck ever with any weapon, second ML harvest, but first that was recovered. Turned out to be a nine pointer.

CVA Wolf
Traditions XTP Hunter
Pyrodex Pellets
777 Primers

Me and Buck Postable.JPG

Next Morning, at another stand, 4 does walk out right at opening. Had to wait for light to confirm they were not spikes, but then let fly and found her about 50 yds away.

NCQH0882.JPG

Was going out again this weekend, but a Tropical storm is stopping that. We've had too many trees fall in the last year (including one that completely smashed one of my stands) to feel comfortable out there in 30 MPH winds. But after going nearly two years without a harvest, I'm extremely happy!

Had an incredible weekend!

Sat morning at 7:15 am, this buck comes out of one of the drags. Put the muzzleloader up and the sights are fogged! Wipe them off and at this point he's 80 yds or so away. Took a few minutes to confirm he was legal (we are a QDM county, must have 4 points on one side) but then let fly. Found him about 100 yds away.
First Buck ever with any weapon, second ML harvest, but first that was recovered. Turned out to be a nine pointer.

CVA Wolf
Traditions XTP Hunter
Pyrodex Pellets
777 Primers

View attachment 987062

Next Morning, at another stand, 4 does walk out right at opening. Had to wait for light to confirm they were not spikes, but then let fly and found her about 50 yds away.

View attachment 987063

Was going out again this weekend, but a Tropical storm is stopping that. We've had too many trees fall in the last year (including one that completely smashed one of my stands) to feel comfortable out there in 30 MPH winds. But after going nearly two years without a harvest, I'm extremely happy!
That is outstanding!!! Congratulations man.

Darkhorse

I shot this doe at 9AM Thursday morning, I got home after dark pure T wore out. The deer was at 75 or so yards and I made a bad shot. The ball hit just below the spine mid ways on the deer. She ran into a virtual Warren of intercrossing trails, and only left a single drop of blood every 5 or 6 feet. Compounding the problem she ran in a large circle and I kept losing the trail forcing me to go back to last blood and start over. Early on I figured she was hit high but I had no idea how high or how long it would take until she filled up and started bleeding out. I knew one thing though she kept going downhill. Into some of the steepest terrain on the property.
It took an honest 2 1/2 to 3 hours to finally find her but I still had to get her out. Dragging uphill was out of the question as I've got several joint related problem spots, a knee and hip replacement, the opposite knee is bone on bone just waiting on a replacement, and several other problems.
My ATV lost fire last season and I have'nt got it cranking yet. It would have made the job so much easier. I'm the only hunter allowed on this property so help was out of the question. Finally I used a deer cart to get her out. It was exhausting work. But work of a good kind too.
I had make a sight adjustment a year ago and the rifle seemed to be on at 50 yards. Just a little high and to the left. But I shot her at 75 yards and at that range the group was a lot more to the left and higher also so the problem was mine to make and to fix.
The rifle is a .54 I built about 20 years ago. I shoot a .530 patched round ball, 80 grains of 3fg. ( 75 grains now to obtain optimun elevation) and .018 patch material. I made that old horn back in 1976 when I first got into muzzleloading, the bag came from October Country.