Muzzleloader Kills, 2019

I shot this doe at 9AM Thursday morning, I got home after dark pure T wore out. The deer was at 75 or so yards and I made a bad shot. The ball hit just below the spine mid ways on the deer. She ran into a virtual Warren of intercrossing trails, and only left a single drop of blood every 5 or 6 feet. Compounding the problem she ran in a large circle and I kept losing the trail forcing me to go back to last blood and start over. Early on I figured she was hit high but I had no idea how high or how long it would take until she filled up and started bleeding out. I knew one thing though she kept going downhill. Into some of the steepest terrain on the property.
It took an honest 2 1/2 to 3 hours to finally find her but I still had to get her out. Dragging uphill was out of the question as I've got several joint related problem spots, a knee and hip replacement, the opposite knee is bone on bone just waiting on a replacement, and several other problems.
My ATV lost fire last season and I have'nt got it cranking yet. It would have made the job so much easier. I'm the only hunter allowed on this property so help was out of the question. Finally I used a deer cart to get her out. It was exhausting work. But work of a good kind too.
I had make a sight adjustment a year ago and the rifle seemed to be on at 50 yards. Just a little high and to the left. But I shot her at 75 yards and at that range the group was a lot more to the left and higher also so the problem was mine to make and to fix.
The rifle is a .54 I built about 20 years ago. I shoot a .530 patched round ball, 80 grains of 3fg. ( 75 grains now to obtain optimun elevation) and .018 patch material. I made that old horn back in 1976 when I first got into muzzleloading, the bag came from October Country.

Beautiful rifle, gear, and great story. Thanks for sharing. I can appreciate the effort as I have had some tough recoveries also. Keep makin them memories !

Got me a doe this afternoon on a public either sex hunt. So thankful for another deer for the freezer and the chance to take it with a muzzleloader on public land. Going back in the morning but probably going to try to hold out for a buck. Shot with a CVA wolf, 95 gr blackhorn 209, CCI shotshell primer, and a 300gr hornady sst. She didnt take a step. Screenshot_20191213-204834_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Got me a doe this afternoon on a public either sex hunt. So thankful for another deer for the freezer and the chance to take it with a muzzleloader on public land. Going back in the morning but probably going to try to hold out for a buck. Shot with a CVA wolf, 95 gr blackhorn 209, CCI shotshell primer, and a 300gr hornady sst. She didnt take a step. View attachment 995091
That's good eatin ! Congrats, and Happy Holidays.
God bless....