My Electric kayak build -Walk thru video added

longbowdave1

A few weels ago I picked up an inexpensive fishing kayak and modified it. I put on a 30 pound C2 trolling motor with foot controlled steering. I also added Nav light, rod holders, a trolling rack , Garmin striker 4 locator, voltmeter/usb port gadget, upgraded seat, and outriggers. I took it out for a maiden voyage on memorial Day weekend, all went really good. Looking forward to fishing some small lakes in northern Wisconsin with it. My friend showed me limited access lake about 80 acres and some big fish. maybe this weekend i will fish there.

Here's a short test drive video.

longbowdave1

So rewind a bit on the kayak. I spent about three weeks reading about kayaks and watching modifications on the kayaks. I decided to build one with a trolling motor to have the paddle or electric option. There was a lot of good info on the videos, I used some, modified some amd di what I thought would work for me.

Here's the motor setup with the steering cables and springs to keep it straight without using the peddles. Also my Milk bottle LED bow light, and the red and green stern lights.yak1.jpgyak2.jpgyak3.jpg

longbowdave1

The speed control switch from the head of the motor was relocated to the center of leg position in a weatherproof plastic box. Close by is a USB/volt meter and the Nav light switch. and the Garmin Striker 4 locator. Used boat bumpers as outriggers come off of the rod/trolling rack.yak4.jpgyak5.jpgyak6.jpg

longbowdave1

Put in a more comfortable seat, I would have elevated the seat if I purchased a better boat to start with, but it works well. Used the two built in rod holders to install a rod rack which i could also troll with. I did install two additional flush mount rod holders in front of the seat as well. yak7.jpgyak8.jpg

longbowdave1

Her she is on the trailer before leaving for my 220 mile journey up to camp. I picked up an old 12 foot boat trailer for ease of transport and storage at camp.yak9.jpg

longbowdave1

She does about 3+ miles per hour on speed #5. On speed setting #2 its about 1.4 miles per hour, perfect for trolling. I cut in a battery box and used Vulkrum caulk to seal around the box. It help lower the center of gravity about 4" on the heavy battery and helped with stability. I put a magnet on the handle of my net and and attacting magnet on top of of the battery box to secure the net, but have have at the ready, should i catch a fish.

longbowdave1

Another cool feature I saw was installing a pulley system on the bottom of the trolling motor to raise or lower the motor. I simply pull the rope sitting in my lap on the left side, and raise the motor, then weave the rope in the anchor cleat holding the motor up, and I'm ready to paddle out from shore. Once the water is deep enough,I unweave the rope from the cleat, lower the motor, and I can use the electric power feature. Used to raise the motor when returning to shore as well. Ther e was some guys that really did a nice job on how to video, "Aksman", in particular. His videos were about 5 minutes each and to the point, and very informative.

longbowdave1

Here's a look at the battery box sunk in. The PVC by my left foot is my swing up transducer mount/camera mount. The net is off the magnet in the picture,yak12.jpg but you get the idea...

longbowdave1

I also have a second camera mount that goes in a rod holder off my left side as well. I did rivet on side and front carry handles too. I found that standard rivets don't hold well in the slick and thin plastic. I bought some large head Exploding rivets off amazon. The spider into three legs that hold strong when pulled into position with a standard rivet tool.

Another great tip was to sand the area that the registration numbers go to help them stick to the slick surface. After sanding the area I applied 4 coats of gray spay paint and 2 coats of clear. The stickers grabbed on and held well.

longbowdave1

I did cut 6 Inches of of the trolling motor shaft to make the finished product 24". Not much to a trolling motor if you never took on apart. I was amazed that it was relatively simple to modify it for my needs.

longbowdave1

If you look at the first motor picture in post #3, you see the rudder made from a cutting board. It made for very responsive steering, turns on a dime. Another borrowed idea....

longbowdave1

Took the kayak this morning, lot of fun fishing from it. Caught a few fish, missed a few, learned some about a new to me lake. Video when i get home. Perfect lake for a kayak. I will go there again, only myself and one other kayak this morning at sunrise. Boat worked great, very stable.

longbowdave1

On my last trip to camp, Two friends of mine shared a some intel on a perfect lake for kayak fishing. It's about 20 minutes North of camp down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere! The shallow launch, and out of the way location, keep many boats and fishermen from fishing it, It's 83 acres with a river inlet and outlet, and two springs feeding it. A simple bowl shape with water that tops out at 20 feet deep in the center hole, great weeds and lily pads. They have caught nice sized largemouth Bass, Northern Pike, as well as Yellow perch, crappie, and bluegill. All my favorites!

I took the kayak there for a few hours, mostly exploring the waters and trying to find structure which I had seen on a DNR provided map. My new "go to" kayak spot for sure.

Here's a video from my ride out there and a kayak walk thru back at camp.

Last edited:

longbowdave1

I have off from Wednesday till Monday. I plan on fishing Wednesday morning on the small 80 acre honey hole. Can't wait to get back in the kayak.