My first Smallmouth

hambone76

I caught it on the 4th of July, in the Au Sable River, near Oscoda Michigan.
I caught it on a crawfish pattern fly, the main food source of the river Smallies up there. I got to watch him come up and inhale the fly - it was so darn cool.
CB1E6AB1-1816-4005-B8CB-F65123C00EAF.jpeg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Nice fish. Congratulations

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A nice one, too! I love catching river smallies, especially on the fly.

hambone76

A nice one, too! I love catching river smallies, especially on the fly.
Thank you!
You ain’t kidding, they are so darn aggressive and very much plentiful up there!
I caught a ton of Smallies and my biggest Walleye ever on a jerkbait while I was up there.

hambone76

Nice catch,,,,beautiful river too,,,,big trout,,,,
Thank you, it’s one of my favorite places to fish and you aren’t kidding about the Browns. That picture was taken at the bottom of Cooke Dam. A jet sled is in my future.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you!
You ain’t kidding, they are so darn aggressive and very much plentiful up there!
I caught a ton of Smallies and my biggest Walleye ever on a jerkbait while I was up there.
If you're hooked, western NC has some great river smallmouth fishing without having to go all the way to MI, too. The river next to my house is swarming with them, as are most of our local bigger streams.

hambone76

If you're hooked, western NC has some great river smallmouth fishing without having to go all the way to MI, too. The river next to my house is swarming with them, as are most of our local bigger streams.
I’ll look into that. Thanks. I’m always looking for a new place to learn about.
We bought a home in Michigan 3 years ago. We go up there a couple times each year for vacation. My kids and I have had a blast every trip.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man, those are some solid smallmouth!