My first try at a foodplot (pic heavyish)

Tight Lines

@Canuck5 No soil test as we were late getting going on new plots...they are reclaimed log decks from thinning last year so are pretty new...we just added 2 tons per acre which is typical in our area this year, plan to do the soil tests next year...

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
First year logging decks are always tuff. If you have access to a subsoiler, try that, other wise plan on it taking a couple of years to feel good about the plot.

I'd still stick with that Combo, but go with the red clover vs the arrowleaf, only because it has a longer tap root, if it is lucky enough to break thru the hard pan.

Root.JPG

Canuck5

Maybe throw in some Daikon Radish ... they help with compacted soil, but if it is cement underneath, they will struggle too

Daikon Radish 1-10-16.jpg

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Well.....................the wildlife is definitely here. Checked the cams today and found these putzing around in it although there is no sign that any of them realize whats there is edible yet.

The ICP's seem to be taking off nicely as well as some of the small grains. The clover seems to be lagging a little but it has only been 9 days since planting.

MFDC0015.JPGMFDC0021.JPGMFDC0027.JPG

ddgarcia

Boy you better work on them hogs or they'll make a mess of that plot...

Yeah I'm trying, but they're mostly being very uncooperative with my efforts. Right now don't seem to be many on the property. I think most of them are after other agriculture in the area and just traversing through my property here and there. Spent a couple hours yesterday evening scouting the property for them and found nary a sign. Only had this picture and one other of them on my cams (4 at them moment), and that camera was on a big barrel and feed block set up on another part of the property.

ddgarcia

Well it's been a month now and things haven't gone quite as well as I'd hoped but about as well as expected. The ICP's have taken off and are/were probably 10" tall before being discovered by the deer and getting nipped off. Kinda wish now I hadn't planted anything but 200-300lbs of these to start.
Some of the small grains and brasicas sprouted but don't seem to be doing too well since and Sally was not terrible kind to them. As this is a hardwood bottom it got a fair amount of runoff through it with debris and it laid down a lot of the sprouts. I am hopeful that they'll recover and continue to grow.
IMG_20200919_162836644.jpg

Also my persimmons are starting to come in and drop creating one more attraction.

IMG_20200920_094659026.jpg
Ive been watching the forecast and with a good chance of rain for the next 5 days and then a cooling trend I'm planning on overseeding with a blend of Crimson, Arrowleaf and Durana clovers and probably some wheat or rye on the 28th or 29th whichever I can skate out of work a little early. I'll add the 2lbs of Boron at that time as well.

Canuck5

It's all trial and error! Unfortunately.

If your I&C cowpeas got 10" tall, they may have shaded out your other seeds. The good part of the cowpeas, is they will continue to grow, even though they have been nipped off, till the cool nights slow them down and kills them off. But the deer will keep them nipped down now and may still be a good hunting spot.

Next time you are down, take a close up picture of what is growing in your main plot and post it. Something like 12" up from the ground.

Overseed before the leaves start to drop. In your second picture, there is some (what appears to be) wheat and some clover and this is the time of year that the clover will germinate well.

You are now entering the time of year, that I am going to plant. You may not like what you see, but you've gained a lot of experience for "your" plot!

Canuck5

Just for reference, this is a plot of cowpeas, that I broadcast wheat into, likely in late September or early October, sometime. No tilling. They were still trying to grow and the wheat happily came thru.

Cowpeas and wheat.jpg

nrh0011

Looking good, only thing I see being an issue is lack of sunlight. That is a nice little spot though.

ddgarcia

I really appreciate all the advise and kind comments. Didn't know that some seeds don't sprout well in higher temps.
It is my hope that this experiment and will prove informative to some that follow and help them understand and avoid any potential pitfalls they may face.

Canuck5

Canuck5

And just for reference, in the extreme right column, you'll see the minimum germination temperatures, for some seeds .... and preferred ph range.

PH rates.JPG

ddgarcia

Went out today for some scouting and to check up on my plot. It has now been 6 1/2 weeks since planting and the results are still better than expected but not what I had hoped might be possible.

The ICP's have been the superstar and are still growing despite constant browsing pressure. Some of the brassicas and small grains have germinated and while the grains seem to be doing ok the brassicas seem to be holding steady at a "baby salad" stage. No sign of any of the clover that was in the mix I originally put out having germinated.

With the cooler temps we've been having and continuing in the near forecast, and decent soil.moisture from recent rains I over seeded today with 25lbs each of Crimson and Arrowleaf and 10lbs of Durana.

Now hoping that the overnight dew and maybe a light rain, although there is none in the near forecast, will provide enough to get a good start on the clover plot I plan on this being one day.

@Canuck5 Here are a couple pics of progress so far. These are pretty representative of the entire plot overall. Little thinner in some spots and a little thicker in others.

IMG_20201004_101830178.jpgIMG_20201004_101821351.jpg
As a bonus, while scouting some.persimmons on another part of the property and checking a camera I have there, this foolish lil feller came trottitin to about 20yds before he realized I was there. It was too late for him at that point.

IMG_20201004_104033737_HDR.jpg

Canuck5

You've got tiny clover germinated in there. The shade is holding you back, but once the leaves drop, you'll see improvement.

ddgarcia

You've got tiny clover germinated in there. The shade is holding you back, but once the leaves drop, you'll see improvement.

Yeah, I noticed that looking at the picture after I posted it. Wasn't paying as much attention in the field as I should have been as I was keeping an eye out for pigs n yotes. Then I found one without even looking.

Ihunt

Op,
Brassicas are nitrogen hogs. I may have overlooked it but usually 30-45 days after planting you need to apply additional nitrogen. That may be part of your problem.

Even though you have some legumes in your plot, you could still add a little nitrogen. It probably will not help the brassicas at this point but would definitely help the grains out. Especially if the deer are keeping them down. Don’t apply it when the plants are wet. If you do, it will stick to and burn the plants.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction. Mine gets worse every year.

ddgarcia

13 days, well 14 really but took the pics yesterday, since overseeding with 25lbs each crimson and Arrowleaf and 10lbs Durana and it's looking really nice. Germination seems to be through the roof on the clovers.

IMG_20201017_114829527.jpgIMG_20201017_114747929_HDR.jpg

Everything else still pretty well where it was two weeks ago although the ICP's seem to be making a bit of a comeback. Not many pictures of deer latey. I'm thinking acorns maybe have something to do with that. And as you can see, the leaves are falling nicely now so that is improving sunlight to it as well.

@Canuck5 At this point do you a top dressing might be in order? And if so with what?

And Sir, if you happen to be in or around the Clarke, Greene, Oglethorpe, Walton or Oconee Co area anytime hit me up and I'll buy lunch. Really appreciate all the help and keeping me from getting discouraged when it at first didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped.:cheers: