My Lone Wolf stand will be sitting out the rest of the season

Fork Horn

I’ve been hunting with a Lone Wolf sit and climb stand for many years and after trying numerous stands, I’ve found it to be the easiest to carry, quietest to climb with and I always thought myself securely attached to the tree.

I carried my Lone Wolf for the first time on Monday, and after a good hunt (seven deer seen including a nice five pointer on the Chattahoochee National Forest) I climbed down planning to give it another try soon. However, while packing up my stand I found multiple cracks in my traction belt (the one that holds the stand to the tree). Guess I missed seeing these when I attached it to the tree since it was dark. Let me say that I was happy to be standing on the ground when I saw these cracks; if I had seen them while up in the tree I would likely have been afraid to climb down with it.

There were lots of things I did wrong, including not inspecting my stand before I began using it this year and my failure to replace the straps several years ago as suggested by Lone Wolf (they recommend changing then every five years and I’ve had this stand much longer than that). I’m just thankful that nothing serious or life changing happened to drive home this lesson. I’ll have to do better.

So now the Lone Wolf stand is grounded and I’m hunting from my Summit stand hoping that Lone Wolf will someday offer the traction belts for sale again. 33C90529-F5DE-4464-9F45-E632FF08A8C5.jpeg

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
That could have turned out bad. Glad you made it down safely.

Here is thread I found seems a member there has a solution until the new belts come out go read toward the end and this will hopefully help

buckpasser

I’m fortunate to not need any right now, but will purchase a new set when they become available again.

To the OP, I wouldn’t use it anymore like that either, but it’s got steel cables inside there, so unless the teeth on the belt failed and it “free spooled”, you wouldn’t have any trouble.

NBN

I’m in the same boat! It stinks not being able to replace those belts. It is by far my favorite climber. I’ve been using my Summits this year and I think about my alone Wolf every time that Summit is on my back.

uturn

They put out a statement earlier this year…coming soon maybe I can find it…think I screen shot it!

Will scroll photos while at camp next week…between sits of course!

DSGB

They put out a statement earlier this year…coming soon maybe I can find it…think I screen shot it!

Will scroll photos while at camp next week…between sits of course!
1668691452976.png

psedna

UAEC
Thank you for the alert! I am hunting with one, I bought it used so I really dont know how old it is. The straps look very good, but I will constantly check them out and as you stressed never unattached to a safety belt... Be safe over holidays, do not take any chances or take shortcuts and most importantly preach safety to our younger hunters.

I'm waiting for the titanium model. lol

Love my lone wolf.

It's the only stand I will own from here on out.

I climbed a tree with it next to my wife the other day while she was in her ladder stand and she couldn't believe how fast and quiet I went up the tree.

Fork Horn

I climbed a tree with it next to my wife the other day while she was in her ladder stand and she couldn't believe how fast and quiet I went up the tree.
When my son was younger, we’d carry the Lone Wolf and a Summit stand with us. I’d climb up underneath him in the Lone Wolf and help him raise the lower section of the Summit as he went up the tree. Once we reached our hunting height, I’d remove the top section of the Lone Wolf and reattach it to the tree between the top and lower sections of the Summit stand. After a slight adjustment to the lower section of the Lone Wolf (moving it a little higher), I’d be sitting beside him. Perhaps it wasn’t the safest process but we both had on our safety harnesses and I never felt unsafe. We had a lot of good hunts together like this. Hope to hunt a lot more from my Lone Wolf stand.