My Project/Money Pit (pic heavy)

Thread starter #1

GoldDot40

Senior Member
This is my 1st car....had since 16 years old. Never did have an ideal place to keep it out of the weather all these years. It was my daily driver for a while, until it just wasn't practical. The more it sat, the more downhill it got. I figured I'd better do something with it before it got to the point to give it up. Motor and transmission were built in 2004 and I MIGHT have 500 miles on it since.

1979 Camaro Z28...this is what I started with...

 
Thread starter #3

GoldDot40

Senior Member
Underside. Subframe connectors, polyurethane engine/trans mounts, Slide-A-Links, and solid aluminum body bushings
 
Thread starter #7

GoldDot40

Senior Member
Sandblasted down to bare metal so we could start working with a fresh platform



 
Thread starter #9

GoldDot40

Senior Member
Test fit the doors with the new door skins and new hinges.


Sealed with epoxy primer. 100% rustproof for probably the rest of my life.
 
Thread starter #14

GoldDot40

Senior Member
Sweet! I love that era Z's and TA's. Is that stock block still in there? What engine? Nice.
That is a 350 block from a 1980 Z28. I rebuilt it with some of my own hand picked goodies.

Bored .060 over, forged flat top pistons, balanced rotating assembly

Pro Topline heads (used to be in with AFR) now owned by RHS in Tennessee. 2.02/1.60 stainless valves. Roller rocker arms

Comp Extreme Energy cam in a profile to match those heads perfectly

Holley dual pane intake with a 650 double pump carb

It's got serious traction issues :flag:
 
Thread starter #17

GoldDot40

Senior Member
Old urethane bumper cover being 38 years old was just too dry rotted and brittle to use and not have it bite me a year or 2 down the road.


So...I bought new front and rear bumper covers too


And I figured I'd sandblast and get some paint to coat the actual steel bumpers...even though you can't see them. They'd still rust without some protection



 
Thread starter #18

GoldDot40

Senior Member
Primed...and painted pretty much every panel separately. Used urethane primer at literally let it sit and cure for a year.



 
Thread starter #19

GoldDot40

Senior Member
Blasted and painted all the other structural parts too...





These are the actual door skeletal frames
 
Thread starter #20

GoldDot40

Senior Member
A little firewall porn. Removed all the original seam sealer and resealed it with urethane seam sealer. Further waterproofing the car.



Then painted it with high temp epoxy satin black

 
Top