My Project/Money Pit (pic heavy)

GoldDot40

It's been a while since I posted about my project. Got a few things done that last couple of years.

Test fitment of the wheel/tire combination I decided to use. American Racing Torque Thrust II's. 17x8 with 245/45-17's up front. 17x9.5 with 275/40-17's on the back. Backspacing on the rear is important to get the tire centered in the wheel well. I don't like my tires to protrude beyond the fender.
20191109_105804.jpg

20191109_105559.jpg

GoldDot40

New windshield up front. Old one was cracked and leaking a little around the butyl seal. Had this new one set with urethane sealer...it won't ever leak again.
20200125_164850.jpg

The back window we cut out of the car was still in good shape. Had it tinted a few years ago while it was out of the car. That way a solid piece could be used. The back windows on these cars are very difficult to tint in the car due to the curve.
20200125_191924.jpg

GoldDot40

Finally got the front chin spoiler squared away too. That front spoiler is what gives these cars "attitude" in my opinion.
20200125_182341.jpg

20200125_191751.jpg

GoldDot40

Doors and door glasses are adjusted as well. All new weather seals were installed in this thing. The doors on these cars are heavy and notorious for sagging over the years...so new hinges were a must. The doors shut as good as they did when this car was new.

I have an issue with the factory Z28 scoop that I will address before I bolt it to the hood.

GoldDot40

No sense in having new paint, glass and wheels....and dingy cracked taillight lenses. They're new too. These weren't reproduced for years. Finally somebody saw an opportunity and began making them again.
20200118_141523.jpg

Cmp1

BANNED
My BIL had the black and gold Trans Am,with the turbo,,,,can't remember the year,but they had problems with the turbo burning up,,,,

GoldDot40

When you put it in a car show I would like to see it in person.
I would love to have sports car from that time period. Use to have a 280 and a 300z but they have been sold long ago.
I plan on putting it in one of the cruise-in shows they have at the Varsity in Athens in the Summer, just to see what kind of reactions I get. If it gets a lot of nods or nominations then who knows. I'd be tickled to get just a nomination for a People's Choice award at a show.

Car is what is referred to as a "resto-mod". It appears mostly stock and original, but has a fair amount of modifications. This car is far from original.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
From someone who has been there done that on over 20 classic rides, you did it right. Especially with it being black, no doubt the most telling color there is. Great job.
And I despised working with aftermarket bumpers!

GoldDot40

Finally...new front windshield installed. Glass man was a independent outfit and did an outstanding job.
20200125_164850.jpg

Reset the back glass too for me. We cut it out when we first disassembled the car. I had it retinted while it was out of the car...which the tint installer appreciated. I'll have the door glasses retinted too pretty soon. Glass installer did a great job on the front and rear.
20200125_191924.jpg

I'm almost embarrassed to post these pictures of such a filthy car. It has been in this shop for way too long. The dust absolutely hides the quality of this paint job. I'm "supposed" to bring it home finally tomorrow if the roads dry up.

Got it insured through Grundy classic car and got the registration up to date a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait to clean it up and get some pictures of how it's supposed to look.

GoldDot40

Finally bailed her out of the paint penitentiary today. Home where it belongs. Man it turned some heads on the way too. Of course about 1/2 were probably wondering how somebody could drive such a slick...nasty car. Looks like a barn find right now.

Going to be another week of foul weather, so I won't be able to clean it up anytime soon. Stay tuned.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
The Camaro is coming along nice. Here is mine back in 1980 after it came back from paint at Doug's Paint and Body in Tucker:

z28 1978.jpg

GoldDot40

The factory turbo T/A's were the '80-'81 vintage. A buddy of mine, Mark Dial, bought one new. They were dogs.
They are absolutely worthless in regards to power...but still a cool factor. Most of those cars were rear disc brake too if I remember right.