My Son’s First Squirrel for 2020

Thread starter #1

hambone76

The weather wasn’t the best and it was mid-day, but we decided to go out for a little bit of Father/Son time.
There wasn’t any activity where we were, and we were about to pack it up when I saw a squirrel heading up the side of a Red Oak. We hurried over there and got my Son a clear shot at the squirrel as it went up a big branch. When he shot it, the squirrel fell to the ground and we went to where it landed, but it was gone. I had him marked pretty well, so we started circling outward, hoping to find it. After about 10 minutes I figured something wasn’t adding up here and my Son said “Dad! I found some blood”! Sure enough, he found a couple of small spots of blood on the leaves. We followed it for about 15 yards and it led us right to a hollow tree. I peeked up in the opening at the bottom of the trunk and there was a squirrel tail showing.
I’m thankful that it didn’t have enough left in it to climb and my Son was elated to have found it.
It’s a slow start to filling the dumpling pot, but well take it.
05BA6B8D-9559-4C25-A23C-7A62411A4182.jpeg 0C6A6E3E-E5A2-41E3-84C6-4214FD61FFDB.jpeg

Last edited:

Railroader

(y)(y)(y)

As I rediscovered last Saturday, ain't nothing better than a kid's first kill...

Sounds like he's got the makings of a good tracker, too.

There is a lot to be said for allowing a young man to experience the outdoors, hunting, and starting by killing tree rats. Keep it up and you'll have a woodsman on your hands.

Tip of my hat to the boy, and you too HB76, for doing things right!

Thread starter #4

hambone76

And, what sorta shootin' iron's he totin'??? I can't figger it out..
Thank you sir! It’s funny, he’s already killed 4 deer, but he’s never shot a squirrel. He’s gone with me quite a few times, but he’s just now getting interested in shooting them himself.

He’s using a Stevens 301 in .410

Railroader

Thank you sir! It’s funny, he’s already killed 4 deer, but he’s never shot a squirrel. He’s gone with me quite a few times, but he’s just now getting interested in shooting them himself.

He’s using a Stevens 301 in .410
Squirrels are a different kind of fun, glad he's into it!

Will check out the 301.

The weather wasn’t the best and it was mid-day, but we decided to go out for a little bit of Father/Son time.
There wasn’t any activity where we were, and we were about to pack it up when I saw a squirrel heading up the side of a Red Oak. We hurried over there and got my Son a clear shot at the squirrel as it went up a big branch. When he shot it, the squirrel fell to the ground and we went to where it landed, but it was gone. I had him marked pretty well, so we started circling outward, hoping to find it. After about 10 minutes I figured something wasn’t adding up here and my Son said “Dad! I found some blood”! Sure enough, he found a couple of small spots of blood on the leaves. We followed it for about 15 yards and it led us right to a hollow tree. I peeked up in the opening at the bottom of the trunk and there was a squirrel tail showing.
I’m thankful that it didn’t have enough left in it to climb and my Son was elated to have found it.
It’s a slow start to filling the dumpling pot, but well take it.
View attachment 1034239 View attachment 1034240

Good stuff!