My Son’s First Squirrel for 2020

hambone76

The weather wasn’t the best and it was mid-day, but we decided to go out for a little bit of Father/Son time.
There wasn’t any activity where we were, and we were about to pack it up when I saw a squirrel heading up the side of a Red Oak. We hurried over there and got my Son a clear shot at the squirrel as it went up a big branch. When he shot it, the squirrel fell to the ground and we went to where it landed, but it was gone. I had him marked pretty well, so we started circling outward, hoping to find it. After about 10 minutes I figured something wasn’t adding up here and my Son said “Dad! I found some blood”! Sure enough, he found a couple of small spots of blood on the leaves. We followed it for about 15 yards and it led us right to a hollow tree. I peeked up in the opening at the bottom of the trunk and there was a squirrel tail showing.
I’m thankful that it didn’t have enough left in it to climb and my Son was elated to have found it.
It’s a slow start to filling the dumpling pot, but well take it.
05BA6B8D-9559-4C25-A23C-7A62411A4182.jpeg0C6A6E3E-E5A2-41E3-84C6-4214FD61FFDB.jpeg

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
(y)(y)(y)

As I rediscovered last Saturday, ain't nothing better than a kid's first kill...

Sounds like he's got the makings of a good tracker, too.

There is a lot to be said for allowing a young man to experience the outdoors, hunting, and starting by killing tree rats. Keep it up and you'll have a woodsman on your hands.

Tip of my hat to the boy, and you too HB76, for doing things right!

hambone76

And, what sorta shootin' iron's he totin'??? I can't figger it out..

Thank you sir! It’s funny, he’s already killed 4 deer, but he’s never shot a squirrel. He’s gone with me quite a few times, but he’s just now getting interested in shooting them himself.

He’s using a Stevens 301 in .410

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Thank you sir! It’s funny, he’s already killed 4 deer, but he’s never shot a squirrel. He’s gone with me quite a few times, but he’s just now getting interested in shooting them himself.

He’s using a Stevens 301 in .410

Squirrels are a different kind of fun, glad he's into it!

Will check out the 301.

Hillbilly stalker

Congratulations ! Keep him in the woods. Your living in special times right now Making memories. (y)

wvdawg

Staff member
Congrats! Great smile on that young man!

bany

Excellent! Great day!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
The weather wasn’t the best and it was mid-day, but we decided to go out for a little bit of Father/Son time.
There wasn’t any activity where we were, and we were about to pack it up when I saw a squirrel heading up the side of a Red Oak. We hurried over there and got my Son a clear shot at the squirrel as it went up a big branch. When he shot it, the squirrel fell to the ground and we went to where it landed, but it was gone. I had him marked pretty well, so we started circling outward, hoping to find it. After about 10 minutes I figured something wasn’t adding up here and my Son said “Dad! I found some blood”! Sure enough, he found a couple of small spots of blood on the leaves. We followed it for about 15 yards and it led us right to a hollow tree. I peeked up in the opening at the bottom of the trunk and there was a squirrel tail showing.
I’m thankful that it didn’t have enough left in it to climb and my Son was elated to have found it.
It’s a slow start to filling the dumpling pot, but well take it.
View attachment 1034239View attachment 1034240

Good stuff!