My very first!!! (forgot the picture)

Luv2Bowhnt

Proud to say that I caught my very first coyote on Friday. Like I said on a previous post, I’ve just started trapping. I set a single trap a few weeks ago and left it out a couple of weeks with no success. Last Monday I went and set (3) MB 550’s. I felt a lot better about these sets and was rewarded Friday with my first coyote. In the excitement and surprise of catching it, I completely forgot to get a picture. Hopefully there will be others that I will remember to share with the board. I pulled the 3 traps Saturday as I won’t be able to check them every day. I’ll reset when I’m able to. Thanks to the board for a lot of good information sharing that goes on here!!

On a completely separate note, I ordered a dozen Z-trap DP traps last week. I’m pretty sure that I can’t run the coon traps right now but my question is, Do you have to be as scent conscious with coon traps as you do coyote traps?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on the coyote ! I completely understand u not getting a picture , as I was pretty jacked up when I caught my first . And you are correct you can’t legally trap Coon right now , they have a season for some reason . And no you don’t have to be as cautious .

Luv2Bowhnt

Congrats on the coyote ! I completely understand u not getting a picture , as I was pretty jacked up when I caught my first . And you are correct you can’t legally trap Coon right now , they have a season for some reason . And no you don’t have to be as cautious .
Thank you!

buckpasser

Congrats!!! You caught your first faster than I did, but I’d bet you’re hooked just the same! My process these days is to first examine the catch to make sure it’s solid and not a toe nail or single toe. Next I get a few pics, then deal with the critter after I’m happy with the camera work. I like scrolling through my trapping pics about as much as my hunting ones anymore. There’s just nothing quite like rolling up on a caught coyote.

As for coons, Antharper has you covered, but I’ll add that they are vastly more forgiving than canids. Especially on the first night. I’m sure this is the start of a decorated trapping career!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Well done, Sir!

That first caught coyote is a proud moment for sure! I'll never forget mine.

Keep after em, man! And get us some pix of the next one...::ke:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I can’t keep coons out of my traps
Blind mink 110 sets I made in a trickle behind the house last year I couldn’t keep the coons out of the traps to catch a mink