NC might cut bluefish limits

Cmp1

BANNED
Back in the 80s when I was stationed in Goldsboro, my boss would take me fishing when the blues were running,,,,we caught over two hundred one day,he liked them,,,,weren't too bad,,,,oily,if I remember right,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They're not bad grilled, or the small ones fried, but there are much better fish to eat out there. They are a ball to catch, though, as long as you don't let one bite you. :eek2:

Cmp1

BANNED
They're not bad grilled, or the small ones fried, but there are much better fish to eat out there. They are a ball to catch, though, as long as you don't let one bite you. :eek2:
Yep, as fast as you could bait up a hook,you had another one,,,,we were at Atlantic Beach,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, as fast as you could bait up a hook,you had another one,,,,we were at Atlantic Beach,,,,
I hate those littluns that run back in the creeks and bite the tails off your expensive Gulp paddletails.

Cmp1

BANNED
I hate those littluns that run back in the creeks and bite the tails off your expensive Gulp paddletails.
He got me up to the Sound to go after Drum also,,,,really fell in love with the place,,,,probably all changed by now though,,,,sadly,,,,

Anvil Head

Excellent the day you catch them 1-3 lbs cut the blood line out and fry or bake. Season them good

This! Best eaten right out of the water. They do not freeze well or even keep on ice long.
The Magnums 18-20#r's are real jack hammers on the hit and have usually 3 good solid runs in them then give up. Have seen the big ones literally blow up a freshwater bass rig on the first run. All you need is something shiny with a black wire leader. We used to go to a thrift store and buy up stainless spoons, cut the handles off, drill holes for rings and mount trebles ..... lot cheaper than buying spoon lures like Hopkins or Johnsons cause you're gonna lose a lot in a Mag run on the Banks.

zedex

Gator Bait
My boss was Cherokee, he loved them,,,,
I know some people who like them too. Normally, when I catch fish others like, I'll keep them and give them away. But bluefish and salmon make great crab bait.

Another use for bluefish is trolling for shark. Run a line through the fish, lengthways, put on the hook and put a few 1/4in deep slices in the fish and troll outside the breakers .

Last edited:

lampern

Not as much bait as there used to be either.

I hope reducing the limits helps but who knows............

Last edited: