Need a track id please

Sweetwater

Need someone to tell me just what in the world made this print. It was found in Douglas county in the woods between the west side of the park and my hood. Deer tracks were every where as was coyote scat. Never seen anything like this. Lighter for scale in pic is about 2.5 inches long. Thanks in advance.

20200418_182530.jpg20200418_182530.jpg

Sweetwater

Multiple overlapping deer tracks.
Deer dont have nails on their hoofs. Look at the top of each impression there is an obvious nail mark on each one. There weren't any other tracks leading up to or past this one . The deer track crossings were way more traveled than normal, prolly due to losing all the habitat on the south east side of the park to Tyler Perry and development on Lower river.

Sweetwater

Ok...Im convinced. Seeing it person was really a different perspective than the pic gives. The smaller claw/nail like shapes on the top end of the track really stand out in person. I know deer tracks well, and am dang ashamed if it is a deer. It just looks much different in person, the claws/nails on the end of each finger really stand out.
There were more deer track traffic by far than in past springs. Usually deer traffic doesnt get that heavy on my end of the park anytime, but they are in there thick now.

Thanks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Sweetwater

Looks to me like a deer track going south overlapping a coyote track going north imo

This makes more sense than the first responses. I could buy that 100% with the caveat being said yote track being due to scraping/scratching. We have some BIG alpha yotes in the pack around here, and even with my caveat IE scratching/scraping behavoir, the scale and size of the claw/paw in the track and the depth just seems to be way bigger than what a yote could even twice the size of the big alphas around here.
But that's a good answer. I was thinking it could possibly be a small bear scrape/deer track combo because of the size/depth of the 3 claw impressions in the top left of the track. This area has a long history of having the occassional refugee bear showing up from the north and west. But your answer makes more sense than that too.

Thanks y'all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
This makes more sense than the first responses. I could buy that 100% with the caveat being said yote track being due to scraping/scratching. We have some BIG alpha yotes in the pack around here, and even with my caveat IE scratching/scraping behavoir, the scale and size of the claw/paw in the track and the depth just seems to be way bigger than what a yote could even twice the size of the big alphas around here.
But that's a good answer. I was thinking it could possibly be a small bear scrape/deer track combo because of the size/depth of the 3 claw impressions in the top left of the track. This area has a long history of having the occassional refugee bear showing up from the north and west. But your answer makes more sense than that too.

Thanks y'all.
It doesn't look like bear at all to me, looks canine.