Need Advice

beginnersluck

I'm hunting some land in Franklin Co. on Saturday and Sunday. It's about 45 acres of hardwoods that leads into a swampy river bottom and 62 acres pasture land. I've not scouted the land out...it's a new aquisition. Anyone with advice where to set up?

Randy

You got to get in the hardwoods right now. The acorns are everywhere!

huntaholic

I agree with randy get in the hardwoods find a group of water oaks an good luck. :bounce:

I would hunt the edge of the swamp where the oaks meet. Find you some good trails coming out of the swamp and find where deer droppings are up in the oaks. I would put my stand right off couple of good trails I would make sure the wind direction is right. Keep us posted on how your hunt goes.

FOUR NOTCH HUNTER

Last edited:
I agree with four notch. You need to be on the edge... Watch the moon. You are better off looking at the moon and hunting the food when the moon is right. I also agree the edge is the best place to find on slipping around. Post the pictures as you get them developed.... Good Luck

Rangers Lead the Way

Rebel 3

I have access to 89 acres in Franklin County. It is owned by family friends and I do hunt it from time to time. It is 10 acres swamp on broad river, 60 oaks, and 20 fields. The deer bed in the swamp and are shot leaving and entering the swamp going and coming from the hardwoods. Hunt the edges of the swamp inside the hardoows. There are most likely funnels that connect the river bottom to the hardwoods. Find these areas and you will see deer. Deer will feed through the hardwood funnels and on into the hardwoods. If there are only 45 acres of hardwoods next to the swamp then you wont have any trouble finding the deer heading out of the swamp into the harwoods. I killed my first deer with a bow hunting the hardwoods just out side of the swamp where the deer exited the swamp.

beginnersluck

thanks

Thanks, I'll surely be hunting around the swampy parts! Hopefully I'll bag one and post it on here before the weekend's over! :cool:

How2fish

Good luck the only thing better than a new hunting land is a new woman! Well back when I was young and had my health.