Need Advice

VicNic3

I went the other afternoon to check on my game cams,then wanted to check out my site for my buddy stand for my son and I,As I was looking near the property line.I spotted a bucket feeder and a new deer stand at about 30 yards from the feeder.Where I was going to hunt would be about 60 to 70 yards from the property line.Now my concern is:If I hunt my stand on the other side of the property line.Am I guilty of hunting over bait as the other hunter is,as he is across the property line.Do I turn him in to the DNR or do I approcah him and talk about it.Need you guys ideas and advice. :banginghe ::; :flag:

reylamb

Call the DNR and let them handle it. But, as long as the corn is gone 10 days prior to him hunting (assuming he is not hunting over it now) he could still potentially be legal. Now, since you know of the feeder, I can only guess you would be illegal.

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
I saw the same thing at our place. someone just across the line had a feeder set up. it was close to one of our food plots. it just so happens I have some business cards for our local game warden. I eased over there and taped the dnr business card on their feeder. the next week it was gone!

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
If there is feed in it you would be just as guilty as he would be if he were actually hunting over it. Just because there is a stand there doesn't mean he will be hunting over the bait, though most likely that is the case. He could possibly wait till the bait is gone and hunt the stand 10 days later and be completely legal.

What to do about it is a tough call though IMO no one should place an active feeder so close to the property line during hunting season as to interfere with their neighbors hunting. I would probably just leave them a note letting them know they are affecting your hunting rights on your property and ask them politely to remove the feeder or relocate it far enough away from the property line so that it doesn't affect your hunting. If they fail to remove it and the stand appears to be hunted i.e. marks up the tree from the climber etc., I would then call the DNR.

After furthur thought, if you were to do as I first suggested you would then be trespassing. So I guess your only choice is to call the DNR and report it and don't hunt near it until it is removed.

Last edited:
H

HT2

Vic......

For me personally, I'd approach the person (if you know them) and try to work it out that way first.......

If that works great.......If it doesn't they are gonna know that you know about it, and unless they are stupid, they are gonna know you are gonna tell somebody......You would just be doin' them a favor, to get them to get it out, instead of gettin' busted for huntin' over bait.......I know they wouldn't realize that, and probably wouldn't care......

On second thought.......

CALL THE "DNR"!!!!!!!!! They need to be "BUSTED"!!!!!!!! :bounce:

jeffw

advice

I have only hunted for 15 years but I can tell you for a fact a lot of people bait. They know it is illegal and ethics is not a primary concern for them. Nor will they take kindly to you saying something to them.

You would get the impression from this site that no one on here would ever break a game law. In my opinion it is easy to type words but do differently in the field. I would not approach the guy period. That is what I would do.

The best thing for you would be to place the DNR business card on the feeder. If I were a baiter which I am not I would get rid of the bait quickly!

Just my 2 cents..and of course my post is not to rile anyone but rather my opinion.