Need all the help I can get

Hello all. I put this in the new member thread, but maybe it makes better sense to put this in the general hunting area.

I have in this past year decided to try my hand at hunting. I am almost 41 yrs old and completely new. I tried deer hunting this past season with no luck. I went to a hunt and learn put on by the state at the beginning of the season and learned a lot, but clearly not enough. I have no venison in the freezer. I have decided to try rabbit hunting, and so far, no luck with that either. All those rabbits I seen while out looking for deer seem to be gone. I plan on trying turkey hunting when that rolls around, but I am told that will be more frustrating. People have told me not to get discouraged, but it is happening. It's just me hunting. There is not a group i go with, and no dogs. I live in Fulton County, but have been traveling to several WMA's around the state. I do not have any access to private land. Any advice from those more seasoned than I? Where to go? What to do to improve my chances of success at a species? etc, etc. If nothing else, I love getting out and getting back in the trees, but it would be nice to bring something back on one of these trips. Thanks GON community.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Hang out here, and read, read, read...

Spend as much time in the woods as you can looking and listening. Pack a lunch, and just go for a stroll once spring rolls around. Move slow, but don't try to "sneak". Just ease along. Notice tracks, scats, what goes where, and how they do it. You just might be amazed at what you end up seeing.

Spring and summer the critters are much more relaxed, and not near as skittish.

Go ride a bike in the WMA, and pay attention to what you see and hear.

Above all, you gotta "put in some time, and get the woods on ya" before you can expect to be able to go in their house and kill somebody.

Becoming a hunter is a lifetime deal, and most do it all their lives. And you never stop learning.

If you don't care about being part of it, learning, and studying it, until you actually outsmart some public land four point, then there is another way...

Just save up some cash, and pay somebody to let you shoot a "nice" buck.

Me, I'll take the four point..

You absolutely can do this by yourself, and by next year, be in pretty good shape to kill a deer. But what you really need is an experienced hunting buddy, because it makes it much more enjoyable to share with someone else.

I'd be willing to bet that you have someone already in your circle that would be glad to mentor you.

If not, you can probably find one on this forum.

Good luck on your journey!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Have a look at this thread. It is a sticky at the top of the Deer Hunting Forum:

https://forum.gon.com/threads/short...ing-safety-tracking-dogs-list-etc-etc.639344/

It is a road map to a tremendous amount of information about deer hunting. Post #10 is the place to start. it is a link to a thread titled "Deer Hunting 101" and will go a long way toward informing you about the basics. Look through the rest of the threads linked to from there for more information about different aspects of deer hunting. Do your very best to make a friend who hunts and might teach you some things. It can be done on your own but it is more difficult. I started deer hunting at about age 36 and did not have a mentor. I read everything I could get my hands on including the GON magazine.

Welcome to Woody's. You have found a good spot.

It only took a couple replies and this is pretty extensive information.

@Railroader I am not waiting for Spring. I was at Cooper Creek last weekend and will be on another WMA this weekend. I will keep going out through spring to get the woods on me. I will also keep reading through GON to improve my chances. I have been told that I probably have someone in my inner circle to mentor me. I have checked, and I do not, so this forum, so far, is my mentor, so I appreciate you taking the time to type an extensive reply.

@JustUs4All The thread you linked me to is amazing. I still have not read all the way through it, but very good Q&A's for the newbies.

@35 Whelen Squirrels will now be a target when I am rabbit hunting this weekend. I have never eaten squirrel, but what better time to start then now.

I am discouraged, but not defeated, so if anybody else comes across this thread and would like to advise, I am listening.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
It only took a couple replies and this is pretty extensive information.

@Railroader I am not waiting for Spring. I was at Cooper Creek last weekend and will be on another WMA this weekend. I will keep going out through spring to get the woods on me. I will also keep reading through GON to improve my chances. I have been told that I probably have someone in my inner circle to mentor me. I have checked, and I do not, so this forum, so far, is my mentor, so I appreciate you taking the time to type an extensive reply.

@JustUs4All The thread you linked me to is amazing. I still have not read all the way through it, but very good Q&A's for the newbies.

@35 Whelen Squirrels will now be a target when I am rabbit hunting this weekend. I have never eaten squirrel, but what better time to start then now.

I am discouraged, but not defeated, so if anybody else comes across this thread and would like to advise, I am listening.

If you kill some squirrels PM me and I'll share my blackened squirrel and grits recipe.

Hillbilly stalker

First thing I would do if I was in your shoes is put a post in the small game section. Let people know what area you are in and that you would like to tag along with some rabbit dog hunters and squirrel dog hunters. You will likely get some responses from some generous guys. While your with them you will learn a lot about all types of hunting from the fellowship.

Second thing is do everything you can to develope and sharpen your woodsmanship skills. That can be done all year long...minus a weapon, you might even carry a camera. Learn to detect and work the wind, learn to walk quietly, learn to stay in the shadows and move slowly, learn to not skyline yourself. Learn to use all your senses including smell and hearing. You can learn to stalk animals in the off season and will find them less jumpy, call it practice.

Remember there are a lot of opportunities on WMA to hog hunt nearly year round, take advantage of it. Nothing replaces experience itself and time in the woods. Study up on any animals you plan to pursue, learn their tracks, their preferred food and bedding and their mating. Love or food is the best way to intercept any critter. Learn how feeding patterns change within the season, some people never do, they often ask where the deer are or if anybody is seeing deer. You can do all this for free and on your own schedule and be scouting at the same time. If there’s anything I can help with, feel free to shoot me a PM. Good luck. (y)

Rich M

W rabbits and birds, you go where they are and walk around, pause frequently and it'll make em nervous enough to run or fly. Step, step stop
Step x5 stop
Step x3 stop

As for deer. Find an edge w Lotsa sign, figure out the wind and go sit.

splatek

UAEC
I just wrapped up my second full season hunting at 46 years old. It’s tough particularly in the mountains/hills. Can’t emphasize enough find you a mentor, or two or three. Each one will drop a tidbit of information. They won’t even know they’re teaching you just by talking.

If you want to chat more about my experience message me. this forum and my mentors = game changers.

shdw633

Have you thought about joining a lease? Leases may offer better opportunities than WMA's to a beginner and they afford you the opportunity to hunt and learn from others on the lease. It may be worth looking into during this offseason.