Need Books

Joe Brandon

Hey yall need some books to read. I know I want one by Mr. Plott about the history of hunting in the NC mountains but any other suggestions? I remember hearing about a book about a man who hunted mountain lions and was called the " last true mountain man" from out west like Colorado. Anyone know the name of this book? Any other nonfictional hunting book suggestions. Not "how to's" but actual biography's or stories.

Joe Brandon

Treecutter and whitetailfeak pull impressive game about every year. I'll be thinking about next year in late December and they'll shoot a big mountain buck late in the game when most us have gone home!

Hillbilly stalker

Anything you can find about " Ben Lilly". He hunted every where, Mountain Lion and Bear. He traveled out west when the pickens were thin around here. He even guided a President. Several accounts of him in a knife fight with a bear, he followed a pack a hounds. He was often called the last mountain man, Long hunter and bear killer.

oldguy

Aldo Leopold's Sand County Almanac should be required reading for any outdoorsman,
Better get started. Won't be long before you're thinking " So many good books - so little time!
Everything by Archibald Rutledge. Same with John McPhee. The Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark. A recent read A Naturalist in Florida by Archie Carr. The list goes on and on!!!

Joe Brandon

Anything you can find about " Ben Lilly". He hunted every where, Mountain Lion and Bear. He traveled out west when the pickens were thin around here. He even guided a President. Several accounts of him in a knife fight with a bear, he followed a pack a hounds. He was often called the last mountain man, Long hunter and bear killer.
Yes sir that was the name, Ben Lilly!Thank you so much!

Joe Brandon

I've got a few books on the book shelf that I will bring the next time I head toward Ksaw. I don't want them back and you can pass them on when you want.
Hey that is awesome I cant thank you enough!!!! My wife and I live in Woodstock now. Please feel free to call or text your books would be more than appreciated! Thanks again, 678-334-5443

Joe Brandon

This forum never ceases to amaze me. I just received a shipment of 6 books just on bears and their nature from @oldguy . I am so grateful! I have had help with a flat, met some good friends and hunting buddies, and now gotten some great literature, all from GON. I feel any sportsmen who is fortunate enough to have found GON is truly blessed from the many fruits it bears.

whitetailfreak

Joe, find you a copy of Sam Hunnicut's "Twenty Years Hunting and Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains". Originally published in 1926(reissued in 2017 by Western Carolina University) it depicts bear tale after bear tale of Hunnicutt and Mark Cathy's adventures in the area in and around Deep Creek near Bryson City, NC during pre park days. You may even read about a Laney or two in the book. I think you'd enjoy it.

FOTO_20200311_170437.jpg

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Joe, find you a copy of Sam Hunnicut's "Twenty Years Hunting and Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains". Originally published in 1926(reissued in 2017 by Western Carolina University) it depicts bear tale after bear tale of Hunnicutt and Mark Cathy's adventures in the area in and around Deep Creek near Bryson City, NC during pre park days. You may even read about a Laney or two in the book. I think you'd enjoy it.

View attachment 1006546

This book will be added to my personal library.