Need Books

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 1030409
This came today. I’m excited.
It's a good read. That one's been on my shelf for nearly forty years, and I drag it back out every year or two and read it again. Kephart was a little condescending to and derogatory of mountain folks, but I think he respected them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Also, I've always referred to grouse as grouse and not "pheasants"....
I missed this one somehow. Grouse were always called "pheasants" around here by everybody when I was growing up. That's also what the Cherokee called them in English. Quail were partridges, and grouse were pheasants. Never heard anybody use the word grouse or quail to describe them until I was grown.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
It's a good read. That one's been on my shelf for nearly forty years, and I drag it back out every year or two and read it again. Kephart was a little condescending to and derogatory of mountain folks, but I think he respected them.
Well some things never change, right? Outsiders are still condescending to mountain folks but feel entitled to be there. We go to the mountains in Georgia every Labor Day weekend. A couple years back we were at a little road side store that my wife likes and I was in line to pay. Some old yankee woman was ahead of me and was talking to the lady behind the register who is from there and whose family owns the place. This yankee was telling her how she and her husband love the mountains in Georgia and said, “We are thinking of moving here with you hillbillies.” I wanted to climb the wall. To the lady’s credit she just said, “Yes ma’am.”

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I missed this one somehow. Grouse were always called "pheasants" around here by everybody when I was growing up. That's also what the Cherokee called them in English. Quail were partridges, and grouse were pheasants. Never heard anybody use the word grouse or quail to describe them until I was grown.
In South Ga the older folks call quail pottage.

whitetailfreak

That's interesting, as much time as I've spent in and around the Smokies I never heard grouse called pheasants until I read Honeycutt's book but I knew exactly what he meant.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's interesting, as much time as I've spent in and around the Smokies I never heard grouse called pheasants until I read Honeycutt's book but I knew exactly what he meant.
Like I said, I grew up never hearing them called anything but pheasants. :huh:Usually actually pronounced "feznets." :)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
As Brad stated, quail are pottages, and we have two kinds of squirrels-cat squirrels and fox squirrels. Different parts of the South have various dialects.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Some of the younger folks down here don’t speak with nearly as thick of an accent. Some do, and most of them still have an accent but the edges are rounded on theirs. My daughter doesn’t have nearly as thick of an accent as me or my wife most of the time and she tells us we sound “country” which I reply to by saying, “We are country and so are you. But we sound like we’re from South Georgia.” And some younger people look at me strange when I use phrases that I’ve used my entire life and just accept as normal. A younger guy at work told me I was “old school” because he heard me say that I had heard tell of something.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
As Brad stated, quail are pottages, and we have two kinds of squirrels-cat squirrels and fox squirrels. Different parts of the South have various dialects.
Yep. My daddy was from the Florida panhandle and I was about eight years old when I realized he was talking about turtles when he spoke of gophers.

Joe Brandon

I am from here. I went down to south ga, Clinch Cty, once on a bear hunt and I promise to you I could not understand much of what was said lol! That's when I realized there are varying degrees and types of southern dialect.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some of the younger folks down here don’t speak with nearly as thick of an accent. Some do, and most of them still have an accent but the edges are rounded on theirs. My daughter doesn’t have nearly as thick of an accent as me or my wife most of the time and she tells us we sound “country” which I reply to by saying, “We are country and so are you. But we sound like we’re from South Georgia.” And some younger people look at me strange when I use phrases that I’ve used my entire life and just accept as normal. A younger guy at work told me I was “old school” because he heard me say that I had heard tell of something.
If I was on a TV show, they would subtitle me. :)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I speak as an old time Southern Gentleman. Most here who have spoken with me in person should attest to that.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
If I was on a TV show, they would subtitle me. :)
Me too probably. I was at a concert in Athens a few years ago and was talking to some people there that I knew already who had some guy with them that I had never met. He thought a couple of things I said were funny and he was laughing and he stuck his hand out to shake and told me his name. Now it’s important to know that this guy was from California. I shook his hand and said, “I’m Brad.” He says, “Nice to meet you Brian.” I said, “No it’s Brad.” He goes, “Brawan?” Everybody was laughing at that point including me. I said, “No man. It’s Brad.” He said, “Oh! Brycson. Sorry.” I gave up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you've ever watched the Moonshiners show, I talk like Mark, Jeff, and Digger in person. I write English, but I sure don't speak it. :)

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
If you've ever watched the Moonshiners show, I talk like Mark, Jeff, and Digger in person. I write English, but I sure don't speak it. :)
I’ve been told I sound like a more redneck version of Georgia football coach Kirby Smart. No idea if that’s true but he’s from South Ga too so it makes sense. I dang sure don’t talk like I write.