Need help for Milliradian scope

Khondker

My scope for my AR 15 says 1 click equal 0.1 mill.

Would like to how many click at 25 yards and how many clicks at 100 yards?

I have Googled and not convinced that I myself going to figure it out.

bullgator

1/10 mil should be .36” at 100yds.

Stroker

Purchased a Leupold for one of my AR's with mils instead of the normal 1/4" @ 100 yard adjustments by mistake. Love the scope, but my 9th grade general math brain can't get a acceptable understanding of milrad system. I just developed my own BDC system using the mil dots for that particular rifle/load to deal with it. When a quick reaction shot presents itself in a hunting situation I ain't time to break out a calculator.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Purchased a Leupold for one of my AR's with mils instead of the normal 1/4" @ 100 yard adjustments by mistake. Love the scope, but my 9th grade general math brain can't get a acceptable understanding of milrad system. I just developed my own BDC system using the mil dots for that particular rifle/load to deal with it. When a quick reaction shot presents itself in a hunting situation I ain't time to break out a calculator.

your not alone...your scope probably doesn't use the normal 1/4" @ 100 yard adjustments. That is something some call Shooters Minute of Angle. It just equates it into something you are accustomed to using. Your scope really probably adjusts .25MOA @ 100 yards.

I learned to use mils for ranging before I learned MOA through the scope and it still seems like mils was easier for me.

Oldstick

1/10 mil should be .36” at 100yds.

This is correct assuming they are truly referring to Miliradians. One MR is just 1/1000th of the sighting distance. So at 100 yards, one thousandth is a tenth of a yard or 3.6 inches. Or divide by ten again with 1/10th MR being 0.36 inches.

So Khondker is indeed correct on the 3 clicks per inch. All you have to remember is divide the range by 1000 to get one MR, then divide that by 10 again to get the scope clicks of 1/10th MR.

Last edited:

Oldstick

mils are used with meters instead of yards isn't it?

Yes, it's even easier with metric for those familiar with it, but 1/1000th of the sight distance still applies no matter what.

For example, sighting at 100 meters. 1 MR is 0.1 meter or one decimeter. Scope clicks 1/10 of that or 1 centimeter each.

Last edited:

bullgator

This is correct assuming they are truly referring to Miliradians. One MR is just 1/1000th of the sighting distance. So at 100 yards, one thousandth is a tenth of a yard or 3.6 inches. Or divide by ten again with 1/10th MR being 0.36 inches.

So Khondker is indeed correct on the 3 clicks per inch. All you have to remember is divide the range by 1000 to get one MR, then divide that by 10 again to get the scope clicks of 1/10th MR.
Thanks for a more thorough explanation Oldstick. While I understand it enough to answer the OPs question, I’m still converting over myself. I have to go through the process in my inch-yard-miles upbringing brain facepalm:.

Oldstick

Thanks for a more thorough explanation Oldstick. While I understand it enough to answer the OPs question, I’m still converting over myself. I have to go through the process in my inch-yard-miles upbringing brain facepalm:.

You were absolutely correct on the measurement for 0.1 milliradian at 100 yards. It all goes back to the mathematical definition of "a radian" from geometry class. One radian equals the distance along the arc of a circle exactly equal to the radius from the exact center of the circle. (There's 2 PI (2x3.14) of these radians along the whole circumference of the circle, C=2PIxR, but that does not matter here.)

One radian will be the distance along the circle for 50 yards right or 50 yards left of your target at 100 yards.

So one radian at the target being 100 yards wide, means one milliradian is 0.1 yard (3.6") wide and 0.1 milliradian is 0.36" wide.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the close to 9 yard difference at 100 will hardly be noticeable but the 90 yard difference at 1K might be:huh:

bullgator

Well, I’m going down to Manatee Gun Club tomorrow and I’ll take my 6 Dasher out to 630 yards again. My Nightforce is in mrads and from a 100 yd. zero I needed .8 mils for 300 and 3.4 for the 630. That’s with a 105 Berger hybrid at 2950.

Oldstick

the close to 9 yard difference at 100 will hardly be noticeable but the 90 yard difference at 1K might be:huh:

I assume you mean the approximately 10% difference in yards to meters. One meter stick is approximately 10% longer than a yardstick. So 100 yards subtract 10% is about 90 meters. 100 meters add about 10% and it is 110 yards. But at the milliradian level, 10% difference is not very much.

True, if you are a sniper trying to sight in at 1000 or more yards/meters, you need to know what that 10% difference is. But at 1000 yards, 0.1 MR is 3.6 inches per click. At 1000 meters, 0.1 MR is 10 centimeters, which is right about 4 inches or so per click.

Jester896

Senior Clown
that is what I said...it won't make much difference in the 9 or so yards at 100
correct .01 mr or 1 click roughly is 3.6" @ 100 or at 1000m it is 36. It has the same error in both places. There error is less noticeable at 100 yards.

Oldstick

I agree.

One 0.1 MR scope click = 0.36" at 100 yards and one click = 3.6" at 1000 yards.

One click = less than 4" at 1000 meters, so not much difference in English vs. Metric at typical distances for most of us. But easier to adjust and calculate for distances especially if you are using military scopes and range finder equipment calibrated in Meters.

By comparison, the traditional scopes with 1/4 MOA clicks are 0.25" per click at 100 yards and 2.5 inches per click at 1000 yards.

bullgator

This is before I did a .1 mil adjustment both left and down. It was a 1.958” group at 628 yards.
221FFAB8-8B5E-41F8-A8AA-97DE4A623453.jpeg

wareagle700

Try hard to stop thinking in inches or clicks. Look at your reticle subtentions and the numbers on your turret, its a scale already drawn out for you that you are supposed to use to measure with. After your shot, look at your target through the scope, if your impact is 2.5 mils away from where you were aiming, dial 2.5 mils that direction in your scope, it doesn't matter how many inches it is. Measuring the impact in inches and then trying to convert that to a different measurement system is way too much work. You don't have to understand mils to use them effectively.