need help

bigunga1

i need some advice on seed type... for a food plot... heres the deal...

mostly shaded...

med to heavy clay soil...

will be planted in a road bed under large pines "35 - 50 ft tall"...

one plot is in a bottom that will get morning sun "if its lucky"...

other plot is on top of a ridge under the tall pines mentioned above....

i know rye will grow here ... what else will do good in mostly to full shade??? ::huh: ::huh:

Jeff Phillips

Coopers Seed has a Shade Mix that I am trying this year in a couple of spots where the trees have gotten to tall to allow good sun.

Cooper Seeds Wet & Shade Mix
This mix contains:
Marshall Hybrid Grazing Rye grass
New Zealand clover
Hairy Vetch

30 lb. Bag plants one acre

When planting mixes always stir seeds before planting

This mix is not suited for standing water or no sunlight. Needs filtered sunlight

Quantity: $29.99

I am going to add some crimson clover and hope for the best. This loading skid was a good plot with a couple of pines in it for years but the pines are now about 40' tall. It has not been planted in about 4 years.

gadeerwoman

Wheat, rape, clover and rye will all do pretty well in partial shade. You'll have more of a problem with shade if you're talking pines. Others will drop their leaves soon and that may open up the canopy but cover the plot. It's a trade off.

270win

I should have had you look at our plot in the creek bottom while you were down today. We planted the mix that gadeerwoman suggested and that stuff has come up so thick it's amazing. It does get filtered sunlight and stays moist so the conditions are perfect for it. It's 10 days old and the deer are already in it. Buy it!

270win