Need suggestions for best gloves for cold weather

KentuckyHeadhunter

My hands freeze. I have a dozen pairs of hunting gloves but none of them are warm enough below 40 after a few hours. I don't want any battery or USB charged heating gloves just a good simple pair of warm gloves. Any options or opinions?

ddd-shooter

I’m looking myself, I have a serious pair of glomits, but they’re only for walking out-too bulky. I usually don’t wear gloves-I bow hunt. Usually keep a hand warmer in my fanatic muff, but I’m needing something extra.

Havana Dude

Hand muff is the way to go. Best results is to keep it warm overnight. I do it the hard way and just leave it in my pack overnight. I wear a pair of fingerless thin cotton gloves, every time I hunt, either for Skeeter protection or, for a little extra when my hands need to be out of the hand muff. Gloves separate your fingers reducing the amount of available heat to the rest of the hand and fingers.

jbogg

I’m curious as well. I have never found any gloves that works better than a couple of handwarmers stuffed into my down coat pockets While wearing some thin glove liners.

Havana Dude

Only time I wear insulated gloves is if I have to use atv for any distance when it’s cold. For me, they are useless sitting in a stand. Just my opinion. I’m the type person that as long as I’m moving or doing something, the cold doesn’t really bother me. It when I stop is when I feel it. The muff allows for hand to hand contact, moving your hands around undetected, etc etc. I’m sold on the hand muff.

Doug B.

I hunted this morning, which was the coldest morning we have so far this season. I wore a pair of thin fleece gloves and stuck my hands inside my insulated bib overalls. I was fine. Never even put my coat on. It was about 19° where I was hunting.

splatek

UAEC
This thread is helpful. It doesn’t really get that cold often but when it does I find my fingers suffer. i use a convertible wool muff. I cut the fingers back to the first knuckle so I can capitalize on finger to finger warmth transfer and when I’m not ready to pull a trigger or a string I flip the muff section over them and/or put in pockets. Always looking for a better way to keep the fingers warm

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I've been camped in the Chattahoochee since Tuesday. I don't know if I've had these off my hands much since I first crawled into my sleeping bag. It's been in the teens the last couple mornings with a constant stiff breeze. I bought them to wear while fishing in winter, but I like them so well, I'm wearing them now. And being fingerless, I'm typing on my phone while wearing them. As a stated above, handwarmers in your pocket are the ticket. I've used a muff, and like it, but when you're backpacking, a muff isn't justifiable weight in your pack.

20211125_081122.jpg

20211125_081127.jpg

GeorgiaBob

When I get serious about keeping my hands warm in cold, wet conditions, I layer. A raw silk inner glove wicks sweat away from my skin. For a middle layer I usually put on a lightweight wool glove. And the real work is done by Thinsulate outer gloves. My thinsulate gloves are actually sailing gloves I got over a decade ago. The cuff extends several inches up my arm, making it easier to tuck inside coat sleeves, they are water tight (still), and the have leather pads on the palm and fingers.

I am pretty sure you can find Thinsulate work gloves and ski gloves at reasonable prices. I also suspect that any knit glove, not just wool, will work for a middle layer. I don't know if anything could replace the raw silk. I really think the secret is three layers, wick, separate, insulate.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I've been camped in the Chattahoochee since Tuesday. I don't know if I've had these off my hands much since I first crawled into my sleeping bag. It's been in the teens the last couple mornings with a constant stiff breeze. I bought them to wear while fishing in winter, but I like them so well, I'm wearing them now. And being fingerless, I'm typing on my phone while wearing them. As a stated above, handwarmers in your pocket are the ticket. I've used a muff, and like it, but when you're backpacking, a muff isn't justifiable weight in your pack.

View attachment 1118828

View attachment 1118829

Thanks for this post. I checked out their site and went with the Alaska Pro glove because it has a Merino wool liner and other nice features. Good price too. The Drake gloves I was looking at were a hundred bucks and these are only 40.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Glittens have always worked for me. Mine have the mitten parts that's over the fingers that flips back exposing the gloved fingers.
I've used them down to zero degrees with no issues.

Buckman18

I just use standard wool gloves. I always found that I'd remove the glove before shooting, so these new fangled high tech gloves are not necessary for me.

chrislibby88

Man best thing for your hands is adequate upper body insulation. If my arms and torso are warm my hands are fine with wool liners and those fingerless wool gloves from FL. I don’t mind my hands being chilly, as long as they don’t get numb and lose dexterity. Those cheap Walmart hunting flip mits with the hand warmer pocket are also decent.
Also, bad news for the smokers/dippers/chawdoggers- Nicotine addicts are forever doomed with cold hands and feet. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, and makes your extremities much colder.

chrislibby88

Only time I wear insulated gloves is if I have to use atv for any distance when it’s cold. For me, they are useless sitting in a stand. Just my opinion. I’m the type person that as long as I’m moving or doing something, the cold doesn’t really bother me. It when I stop is when I feel it. The muff allows for hand to hand contact, moving your hands around undetected, etc etc. I’m sold on the hand muff.
Movement increases blood flow. If my hands get too cold I start moving them, play on my phone, etc.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Old timers always said that if your feet are cold, put on your hat. That applies to your hands too. A good warm hat goes a long way towards helping to keep you warm.

Cold never bothered my hands much still arthritis set in on them. Now cold gets em right bad. A pair of wool glommits do the trick for me.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Man best thing for your hands is adequate upper body insulation. If my arms and torso are warm my hands are fine with wool liners and those fingerless wool gloves from FL. I don’t mind my hands being chilly, as long as they don’t get numb and lose dexterity. Those cheap Walmart hunting flip mits with the hand warmer pocket are also decent.
Also, bad news for the smokers/dippers/chawdoggers- Nicotine addicts are forever doomed with cold hands and feet. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, and makes your extremities much colder.

I didn't know that about nicotine. Interesting.